Phoenix roebelenii or robellenii looking Sad

musa_monkey

Phoenix roebelenii or robellenii looking Sad

Post by musa_monkey »

My Phoenix roebelenii or robellenii (spelling sems to be different depending on where you look) was a real bargain from B&Q at the begining of the season. I certainly don't want to loose it so i took it inside the house for the winter a few weeks back.
Its now starting to look a bit sad. :( It appears to have enough water - just i keep it on the dry side and check it with a meter.

I know the lower branches do die back, the growth on top is ok and new growth is appearing. Its just the ragged look of the lower leaves that have me a little bothered :? having zero experience with it. Is this normal or do i start to panic now icon_scratch

On another note I have just had to open up the greenhouse to get some air circulating as well as i found a couple of plants starting to rot :cry: not a great day so far.

pete G

Re: Phoenix roebelenii or robellenii looking Sad

Post by pete G »

I'm sure there are others with more experience than me on growing this one, but it looks dry to me, if not root wise then maybe humidity wise.
If its been outside all summer and now into a heated house its going to notice the dry atmosphere.

Or it could be the lower light levels.
But I doubt that, as the new growth looks OK.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Alan, It does look dry to me too. I noticed you have it near the Radiator,Maybe its too warm for it there.

If it was me I would cut those dry looking leaves off as they are not going to re hydrate. It may help the rest of the plant too.

Second thoughts wait for Ade or PaulM to reply they seem to be the main Palm guys that grow them.
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Were those lower leaves healthy when you brought it inside? If so, it does seem like something about the move hasn't suited it if all of the lower leaves have gone like that quickly.
If it is a humidity thing, maybe filling the plant saucer with gravel which you can keep just moist without the roots sitting in water may help?
Pete
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Pretty much as the other guys have said, looks too dry.
You have already said you keep it on the dry side when roebelenii's like loads of water, my potted ones are standing in water all year round.
Mark mentioned the radiator, hes right, not many plants I know of will tollerate being so close to one.
I would buy a deep pot saucer for it and keep water in the saucer, in the mean time put it outside in the rain (if its like here, mild and wet) and give it a really good soaking.
Your palm should recover but a sure way to kill them is to keep them dry.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

jeez i have a lot to learn thanks guys icon_salut it will recieve a good soaking and be moved away from the radiator. :oops: I read somewhere it can cope with -4c ?? and its been down to -2c here so far this year so I am still wary of putting it outside.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I would only put it outside if still mild where you are, just long enough to give it a real good soaking then bring it in and either stand it in water or at least keep it well moist.

Be extra carefull when you put it out in the spring, they are difficult to aclimatise and will burn easily if you arent carefull.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have 2, one 7 feet tall, the other a small one from B & Q, last year. I don't like bringing mine inside at all. They spend most of the year outside and get dragged under the covered bit when frost is forecast. In very bad weather thay might be brought into the conservatory.

They come from rainforests. around the Mekong river area of Laos and Cambodia, but in the mountains can be exposed to temps of 5C, so they are relatively cold hardy, but not dry hardy. It is a rainforest palm, and does best with constant water and high humidity even if cold. :wink:

If I were you I would put it somewhere frost free, but not heated. If you must have it in the house, a cool room with good light, but as has been said, with plenty of water, and sit in a tray. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by musa_monkey »

Thanks for the comments all. Given my ignorance rather than kill the thing with kindness and loathe myself into the bargain for doing so i have bitten the bullet and put it back outside and also given it a good waterering. Its sitting in a tray right now.

If i get to paranoid :shock: about it i have plenty of fleece and a garage i can stick it in if frost is likely.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dave and myself disagree on where to keep them for winter, Daves preference is outside, mine is in the conservatory.
Daves dont need aclimatising in spring but mine do whereas mine make growth through winter and Daves dont.
I do keep a couple outside but best ones come in to the conservatory.
We all have our own way of doing things.

Hope we arent confusing you too much.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Adrian wrote:Dave and myself disagree on where to keep them for winter, Daves preference is outside, mine is in the conservatory.
Daves dont need aclimatising in spring but mine do whereas mine make growth through winter and Daves dont.
I do keep a couple outside but best ones come in to the conservatory.
We all have our own way of doing things.

Hope we arent confusing you too much.
All part of my education :D - frankly i am gratefull to have somewhere to come for advice on this stuff. icon_salut
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian wrote:Dave and myself disagree on where to keep them for winter, Daves preference is outside, mine is in the conservatory.
Ade, your area in generally warmer than mine, but you do get the odd night that is colder than here. Mine don't spend the coldest nights out, they get dragged into the covered bit. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Im not arguing Dave, its healthy to compare different methods.
I only posted that bit for Musa Monkey so that he knows there are different ways used and he can make his own mind up to suit his area and his wintering options.

Also Dave, you work from home so its no problem for you to pop out at any time to pull a plant or palm under cover, its a lot more convenient for me to have them inside as opposed to me chancing whether Ill be home in time on a cold night.
Roebeleniis arent the easiest palms to shift about either, mine are in heavy pots and they bare the usual Phoenix armoury.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ade, point taken icon_salut icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Dave ... I've found your method works for me as well. A move from say, an outdoor humid 7°C, to a moderately dry room temp of 20°C is bound to have some adverse effects. This has been my observation some 5,000 miles away :wink:

Cheers, Barrie.