Tetrapanax papyrifer new growth

Petefree

Tetrapanax papyrifer new growth

Post by Petefree »

I've been a bit disappointed with the Tetrapanax papyrifer plant I bought in May. It hasn't put on much growth this year, although it did have several new leaves, none have got particularly big (nothing over 1 foot) and the plant itself was still only a little over a foot tall.
However, I've noticed today that it seems to be putting on new growth even now, and the latest new leaf to extend has a petiole about a foot tall, so the plant is now about 2 feet tall in total. It has 2 little trunks from the ground, and both have new leaf buds on them.
Tetrapanax-papyrifer.jpg
Tetrapanax-papyrifer-2.jpg
I'm worried it may be a bit too little too late, as the new growth must be very soft. I've been lucky so far, my garden is coastal and reasonably sheltered, and I haven't had anything below +1C yet. That looks likely to change tomorrow though :shock:
I have another Tetrapanax to plant out next spring - a bigger leaved form (hopefully) called "Di-Sue-Shan" from Crug.
Maybe, if the papyrifer makes it through the winter, it will achieve bigger and better things next year.
Pete
simon

Re: Tetrapanax papyrifer new growth

Post by simon »

Looks like a nice plant Pete. Seems to have two growth points, which is nice.

Sounds like it has taken some time to settle down after planting out, which is typical of Tetrapanax. I have no experience with the species but if it is less vigorous than Rex, I guess you can expect it to take longer to get going. My Rex in the front didn't get going until about end of July after panting in May, but then took off.

Hopefully yours will perform well next year. Not sure if it will need any protection, not familiar with your climate.
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

My garden is relatively lucky climatically, Simon - I'm only about 100 yards from the coast and up a slight hill.
I'm thinking I might just give the Tetrapanax a thick mulch of bark...
Pete
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Pete, your post prompted me to go have a look at my T-rex, planted this Spring. Although it's leaves have been knackered by the frost a couple of weeks ago it also has a new leaf emerging. I'm going to make it a tent tomorrow with 3 bamboo canes and some fleece (thanks MarkD :) ).

Of all the plants in my garden I think I can honestly say it's the only one I REALLY want to get through the winter as it was a picture of one in magazine that got me into exotics 3 years ago. (where's that fingers crossed emoticon Dave :) ).
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Pete.... Watch out for the Molloscs. The growth point is particularly appertising for them in the Spring time. My small specimen got whacked by them, but i killed it by moving it icon_thumbdown
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Mines begining to branch now, mainly because the main stem is flowering.

Cheers, Barrie.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

DavidF wrote:I'm going to make it a tent tomorrow with 3 bamboo canes and some fleece (thanks MarkD :) ).
You're welcome :D Reminds me to do ours today in time for the chilly weekend!

Pete, I think your plant looks alright. You can always build a teepee on it for extra peace of mind. We too have bought a T.papyrifer last May and has been planted out. It's gained alot of growth and the trunk is nearly 2' tall with leaves noticeably smaller than another T.'Rex' of comparable age planted somewhere else in our garden. But that's why it's worth owning one as they look different enough.

That's under a teepee too and will let you know how it gets on :) AndyC has got a really nice and tall T.papyrifer in his garden (AndyC, if you're reading this!) and it has never suckered!
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

WHO mentioned molloscs icon_rambo My youngster has only been in the greenhouse two days and they've butchered it. Back in the garage it goes :(
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

My trex not my kid :oops:
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

lee-ann wrote:My trex not my kid :oops:
Good thing you clarified that lee-ann, otherwise social services could pay you a visit :ahhh!: :lol:
Libby

Post by Libby »

I thought these where hardy? I have not fleeced mine at all :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

my Trex has never been protected Libby and has suffered no ill effects :D

Gary
Libby

Post by Libby »

phew!! :D
mikefromniagara6b

Post by mikefromniagara6b »

Nice to know it is well enough to try. Hope it winters for you!

M