alocasia with big wooden trunk

Axel

alocasia with big wooden trunk

Post by Axel »

Today i noticed some alocasia's on 3 ft. wooden trunks in a local nursery. Is anyone familiar with these alocasia's? Would it improve hardiness?

It's the same alocasia i have in my courtyard but much bigger.

Axel
Attachments
IMG_2038.JPG
Mark

Re: alocasia with big wooden trunk

Post by Mark »

Axel, I used to have these at my last work place. We has Maccro,Odora and Portidora.

Not sure if it helps with Hardiness or not but it certainly makes them top heavy and they tend to snap sometimes. You get little growing points on the stems but they rearely seem to produce plants.
Alocasias.JPG
A- D032.JPG
Axel

Post by Axel »

Does anyone know wichone i have?
And does anyone know wich point of the alocasia is weakest during subzero temps? Is it the growing point or the rootsystem? If they come back from the roots sometimes (like bananas) that would be an indication that the rootsystem has some hardiness, i believe.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I would say yours looks like a Maccro to me. The softest point will be the tip so that would go first. I have yet to get an Alocasia through our winters planted out. I think if it did come back the following year it wouldn't be a decent sized plant.

They produce cormlets amoung the roots and they are protected by a hardish shell so its possible that these may sprout during the warmer weather.

Not sure what the minimum temps a Ally could take sorry :(
darran

Post by darran »

When I was in Hong Kong a couple of months ago all the flower market stalls were selling alocasia stems/stalks! They were always grown in water and the more gnarled and twisted the brown stem was the more popular they were, however the most popular ones were always multi-stemmed (sp?). I have to admit that they were very decorative and grown primarily for the stems with almost all the leaves removed :shock: