The Washie fights back

Dave Brown
Site Admin

The Washie fights back

Post by Dave Brown »

We're not having any of that then icon_thumright

Washie sends cold packing :lol:

Washingonia wins fight against cold winter so far. With temps hovering around freezing for 2 weeks the washingtonia, completely unprotected, has come through with only singed leaves.

Screened 5ft Temps here were

26th 12 5.3/-0.6
27th 12 2.9/-0.9
28th 12 3.7/+0.8
29th 12 2.2/-2.9
30th 12 0.4/-5.0
31st 12 2.5/-1.2
1st 01 3.6/+1.3
2nd 01 4.8/-0.9
3rd 01 2.4/-4.4
4th 01 0.4/-3.6
5th 01 2.3/-2.2
6th 01 0.7/-5.6
7th 01 2.9/-5.3
8th 01 2.6/-1.5
9th 01 0.6/-2.2
10th 01 -0.1/-5.0

Grass surface temps were down to -9.4C during the period, and the ground has frozen to 2 inches in places. The position of the Washie may be important, as it is grown on the west side of a 6 foot brick wall, so the base is protected from easterly winds. It is also tall enough now for the crown to be in full sun all day, so even through the temps barely got above freezing on some days. The leaves were bathed in warm sunshine icon_sunny. The combination that gave such cold nights also gave good conditions during the day. Clear and still at night, but intensly bright sunshine and still much of the day. :wink:

How have Washies faired elsewhere. I know a lot of places were colder than here. Just how low can they go icon_scratch icon_scratch
Attachments
080109 pics 006.jpg
080109 pics 006a.jpg
080109 pics 005.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: The Washie fights back

Post by themes »

fantastic News Dave! Lets hope this year it puts on a lot of new growth
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

good news Dave :D mine is potted and under cover this winter so cant compare it to other years, one thing i intend to do in the new garden is think about overhead cover for less hardy palms from the outset rather than as an afterthought :D

Gary
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mines in the open but fleeced on most cold nights (if I remember). I've gone down to -5 or so and it has no damage except one night when it rained and then froze down to -3c with the leaves wet. Looks good so far and only planted after Akamba in May.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

No probs with my Washie Dave, no damage at all & he's been valliently protecting more tender plants under his huge leaves... :lol:

By the way is that a Caryota in a pot in the corner to the left of your Washie? :?
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Not great, but mines very small and is lingering by the fence which doesnt really provide any heat so looks like your wall has done wonders and it's good to see a Washy that size make it through :)

My washy looks pretty much like your singed bit on your photo but the whole frond is like that on all the fronds if you understand?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

We have one planted out which had a shelter over it keeping the forst of the frost and snow out of the centre. All the exposed leaves are toasted, but fingers crossed we did enough to keep it alive for the spring!

We have a smallish (£10 job from tesco) one in a pot by the front door - its up against the house wall and has overhead protection from the storm porch. I think its ok, but we shall see.

Another small one was inside the cold greenhouse, dont look too bad but fingers crossed. (we really do need a fingers crossed smiley)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nathan wrote:By the way is that a Caryota in a pot in the corner to the left of your Washie? :?
Yes, it is, or was, a Caryota Himalaya, sold as hardy by the Palm Centre. I forgot it was out there, as there was plenty of room under the covered bit the other side of the doors. The leaflets feel very limp so I rekon its a gonna :roll: As far as I know I one of the few who still had this. Most others had tried it outside and lost it. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

Dave Brown wrote:
Nathan wrote:By the way is that a Caryota in a pot in the corner to the left of your Washie? :?
Yes, it is, or was, a Caryota Himalaya, sold as hardy by the Palm Centre. I forgot it was out there, as there was plenty of room under the covered bit the other side of the doors. The leaflets feel very limp so I rekon its a gonna :roll: As far as I know I one of the few who still had this. Most others had tried it outside and lost it. :roll:
I wouldn't give up on it yet Dave, it looks like a pretty sheltered spot & the leaves of the Washie should have given it quite a bit of protection...

By the way I have one & mine is planted under my Washie, not a mark on it (so far) this winter & it even has a new leaf opening :lol:
Jellybob

Post by Jellybob »

I have a few Washingtonia, but the largest, and newest, I think is a gonner. It was planted late summer, got it cheep as it was in a bit of a state. Up to November it was slowly pushing out a new frond, now this and the old ones are utterly fried. Soft and brown. I can't see that one pulling through. The one in my back garden that has been planted the longest is fine, but it only grew three fronds last year...all this talk of fast growing...when will I see this??
jezza

Post by jezza »

Well that gives me plenty of info on what to do with my two when they get bigger icon_thumleft
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

It would look as though my Washingtonia robusta will lose it's leaves from the -10.6°C (13°F) event back on Dec 19. ~ Center spears seem fine
It would surely be dead if I didn't erect an enclosure and use burlap to wrap the center growth point. I didn't provide any heat inside the enclosure.

Cheers, Barrie.
darran

Post by darran »

Jellybob wrote: The one in my back garden that has been planted the longest is fine, but it only grew three fronds last year...all this talk of fast growing...when will I see this??
Same with my washy :roll: planted it out the large pot it was in into a warm spot in the front garden....lets see if that makes a difference!
pete G

Post by pete G »

I've got three (at least I hope I still have) growing in varying conditions, all the same age but with very different growth rates.

Two are fairly close, one free standing and one competing for space near a south facing fence, the last and smallest is on the allotment, this one may well be dead.

Of the other two, the smaller near the fence looks the best, the largest, free standing, looks to have lost all its leaves, they are still green but have that badly damaged look, very dull green.
They all had a "scarf" of fleece around the necks in an attempt to preserve the growing points.
All three have been planted out for about four years, and have been mostly defoliated every winter, up to now.

I got -7 the other night, after a few days of very little thawing during daylight hours, it would have been colder than that on the allotment.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Its a 'Tale of Two Washys' here, the oldest in the back garden has been well hammered, I'll do a pic at the weekend, the other in the more protected front garden looks ok.