Ready for summer :)

Exotic Life

Ready for summer :)

Post by Exotic Life »

Spring is here, day's around the 17 a 18 C and a lot of sun!

Palms loving it ... This one is ready for summer and more and more heat!

Robbin
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thats a beauty Robbin. I think your weather conditions are similar to ours, about a degree or two cooler than London, but you get hotter weather in Summer.

I still have yet to get a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP to survive in the ground here, only been trying for 30 years. I think I have decided it is a drainage issue in the winter, but once I have sorted it, I'll be competing with you and Mixie.

SIDPs here I come. If you view this album on the Gallery, the first few pictures are of CIDPs in my local area. http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/gallery234/v/Phoenix canariensis_CIDP/
What is more I am finding new ones all the time :D but it seems that the only person around here that can't grow them is me. :cry:

Latest Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is in a 6ft by 10ft garden of a ground floor flat on Milton Road about 400yds from the Globe Traffic lights. It is about 10 feet tall, and the trunk alone will take about a quarter of the garden. :shock:

The second one this week is in the hammerhead of Dobson road, off valley drive. It is about 12feet tall. Now this is special as it is about 2 miles from the River, and in an elevated position on a West/south/West hillside right next to the Warren. it must be 200 feet above sea level. That must be colder than any of the others in the local area. 8)

I'll have to keeep my eye open for any that flower. :wink:

Best regards
Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Vic »

Dave,

if your on the look out for big cipds locally, if your ever in rainham there is a massive one on the A2 on the way to newington, its on your left/h/s just after a set of lights. It is the biggest i have seen in kent, and has obviously been there a few years from a small plant, it must be 15ft.

Vic
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

if not more vixie, it is in flower as we speak, i will one day be brave enuff to knock on door. Job the palmy army lol.

Pixie lost el chino by the way, thats his lovely dog. He isnt well vic. Phone him soon.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think I will have to stop counting the CIDPs in the area, as I find more everywhere I go. There is another 8 footer at the top of Sun Lane I noticed on Wednesday. Now all I have to do is convince the Council to invest £2.97 for a B&Q Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, and plant it down the prom. They just wasted £5.8M on the civic centre makeover, so probably haven't got £2.97 to spare :shock:

Best regards
Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Exotic Life »

Hi,

And after the very HOT tempeture from lastw eekend, i hit almost the 30C on sunday (29,8C) i see this ...

After a weak between the 15 and 20C he still growing .. and fast...

And with the new forecast that we go again from sunday to the 25C ... this would be only faster! :)

Robbin
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nice one Robbin, now you just need a female Phoenix canariensis_CIDP to go with it. :lol:

Mine is getting ready to be planted out. Just given it a dose of Palmbooster to get the roots active, and will plant it out over the Bank Holiday.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright