Arundo donax

daz

Arundo donax

Post by daz »

Hi guys im wanting some arundo donax for my garden.Doese anybody have any pics of this please.Also is it invasive?Many thanks........ :lol: daz
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Hello Daz if you go to the Wikipedia site on Arundo donax you will find it quite informative. I will say nothing except, you must make the decision your self. All the best mate.
daz

Post by daz »

Hi mate thanks for the reply.Can you please tell me whats wikipedia please :shock: ?Thanks..daz
Mark

Post by Mark »

Daz it will spread in time so give it a bit of space for when its ready. Mine gets about 15 ft + and the clump in the front garden is currently whacking the phone lines.

Wikipedia is a online encyclopedia. It covers most topics.
daz

Post by daz »

Cheers mark 8)
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

try this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arundo_donax
I hope this helps.
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Hi Daz

I have only just got this as a freeby from SteveW - but I have seen them growing in a couple of gardens - it didn't seem to be too invasive, but I think a lot depends on the soil you have and how much water it gets. As Scrim says - it is up to you - but keep an eye on it for the first couple of years just in case it is too happy in the spot you give it :D .

Oh - and I would go for the variegated version - a much nicer looking plant.

cheers

John
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Daz, I'd guess being by a stream, it would love it at yours. And probably grow more than it does in normal gardens.

I've had some varigated stuff for a year, and its sent out just 2 shoots this year in normal garden conditions.
daz

Post by daz »

Thanks scrim thats great mate just what i was looking for.IM getting some lol.Where it will be planted kentgardener is near the stream in the garden so it can grow as wild as it wants to Somwher near the gunnera i think. :wink:
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Keep an eye out in the autumn sales. I've seen the varigated one down to £1.50 - £2.50 in a few places. None local to here, I'd pick one up for you if there was.

If anyone has a spare bit on non-varigated I wouldn't mind a bit :).

Lucien
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Hi John, I've read that the variegated form is less hardy than the green - any idea if this is true or not?
keith

Post by keith »

Hi Daz,

We'll be digging some up next year and splitting it, you are quite welcome to have some of it. It does like it moist so it should do very well in your garden. It can be invasive if the right conditions are available, and your garden with a high water table looks ideal.It grows to about 15ft to 20ft.

[/img]

The picture shows Melissa standing next to it in 2004.

Keith.
daz

Post by daz »

Keith thats a cracker mate,The plants not bad eather :shock: lol.I would love some mate thank you verry much indeed mate. :lol:
Mark

Post by Mark »

I can't wait until Melissa sees what you have done Keith. Boy are you in trouble :lol:

I may keep it as my new screensaver :wink:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mick,
The variegated one seems to be just as hardy as the green one in my garden.Its also the better grower out of the two