Are there any 'right-to-light' laws I should be aware of...

Creepshow

Are there any 'right-to-light' laws I should be aware of...

Post by Creepshow »

...being new to tropical gardening in the UK?
grub

Re: Are there any 'right-to-light' laws I should be aware of...

Post by grub »

Yes! if any neighbours moan plant a really invasive bamboo next to their fence and move :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think Leylandii are subject to ASBOs if allowed to get out of hand, but most exotics are not overpowering. If you plant something to block light from a neighbour's window they could take a civil action :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GARYnNAT »

not planning on planting 8mt jubs are you nick :D that might get you in trouble :D

Gary
grub

Post by grub »

He was thinking more of P.Dactylifera Gary :lol:
Last edited by grub on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

As I remember, people have a right to light but not a right to a view.

This, from info' gained when the field behind our house was sucked into a new housing developement. Too far off to rob us of light ...robbing us of the view of a green farmers field was deemed ok. :twisted: We still have the cattle grid at the end of the road but no longer any cattle on the common land :cry:

Cathy :cry:
grub

Post by grub »

Sorry I boobed :oops:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Having been in construction for more years than i care to remember, this "right to light" phrase comes up quite frequently and is something that during the course of our work we have had many discussions with various planning depts and the way it has always been explained to me is that there is NO right to light or a view. How it works is, if someone wants to build an extension to their property and a neighbour objects on the grounds of " a right to light" then a planning officer will look at the proposed plans and/or may make a site visit and strike a line at an angle of 45 degrees from the opening that is to be affected. If the extension / obstruction, does not cut the line of the angle then there is normally no cause for concern and the objection is dismissed. If however the proposed extention / obstruction does cut the line of angle then normal proceedure is that light readings are taken in the affected room prior to the extension going up and also during the course of construction and completion and the affected neighbour can only have recourse if the light that they had prior is DIMINISHED , if its the same then its usually "tough titty" to the objector, "tough titty" being complicated legal jargon. Also considered is what time of year it is, which way the sun rises and travels across the "affected" property i.e if the extension / obstruction never casts a shadow over the "affected" property then the likelyhood of the light being diminished at the opening is virtually nil and again the objection should be dismissed. Also you have a right to plant whatever you want in your garden whether it be Lleylandii, palms or whatever. The only time planners / councils can step in due to a complaint is if it is on the "dangerous" tree list, for want of a better phrase and even then a tree such as leylandii is treated to the same measurments as a boundary fence i.e cannot exceed 2m in Height or if vegetation / plants, tree's etc are within 2.4m of the public highway(measured from the kerb at the roadside of the pavement) the height must be reduced to 600mm but can vary to 900mm depending on the local council concerned. Hope that helps.

My next novel will shortly be available at W.H. Smith and all good bookstores, priced £9.99.

yours
Arlon Tishmarsh (Real name)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Optimistic arent we Nick :lol:
The only thing really able to cause trouble might be some of the bamboos and maybe Phoenix canariensis_CIDP when big.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

I would go with Arlon's novel :D on this one. The planning people i have spoken with in the past have always said its a bit of a myth.
This forum is quite useful for discussion on garden law.
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Well explained Arlon icon_thumleft
...and "tough titty" is a very expressive olde expression that I have not heared for years :lol:
Cathy.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Keep up Cathy, he's called Mark now :lol:
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Cathy "Tough titty" is an everyday phrase in our house :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Keep up Cathy, he's called Mark now
Don't worry Cathy, i don't even know who i am now, i'm so confused. Kentgardner, i think thats his name but i think he's called John as well, told stated earlier its good for me to have it out. I told my wife and she slapped me. Now whats that all about.