Yucca Rostrata crown rot

Arlon Tishmarsh

Yucca Rostrata crown rot

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

A chap i know has a nice blue rostrata that he's offered me for £35 english pounds sterling. Its got a 2 / 3 ft stem. The only problem is he says it has a little bit of crown rot but if kept dry and warmish it should recover. It is generally a nice looking plant, still has a lot of blue leaves but an equal amount of faded leaves lower down the ball, which i suppose is quite usual. I have read that Yucca rostrata doesn't usually recover from crown rot and wondered if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this and whether its worth the gamble, bearing in mind that £35 quids isn't a lot but its is a lot of Happy Meals and more seriously a few cases of Budweiser. Hate to be alarmist but thats fact, Buds are at risk here of not being bought.
phoenix

Re: Yucca Rostrata crown rot

Post by phoenix »

Is it crown rot or a post flowering growth stop?
I would leave the plant alone if it were the former but if the plant has recently flowered it may be worth getting it. Mine took about 18 months from flowering to start back into growth but it IS growing again.

Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Don't know anything about these, but have considered getting one. Generically, any rot now may get far worse as the weather warms up...... soon please :lol: so it may be worse than it currently looks.

Question, do these come back from having the top cut off, like other yucca :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by phoenix »

Dave
They may put out new growth from the base if they are cut back (why would you do that though ???) ((oh I forgot you have a reputation for hacking down Yuccas :lol: ))
But the dont seem to have the same growth buds along the stems that other Yuccas ,like gloriosa, elephantipies etc do so they wont regrow the same way.

Steve
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well mine has not settled yet after more than 4 years, it came with a reasonable rootball and spent two years in the greenhouse but did little other than push out dead leaves.
It was suggested it might be better planted so it went into the slightly raised arrid bed but again two years on its still pushing out dead leaves.
Obviously its not dead or it wouldnt be pushing anything. Many a time Ive thought of chucking it but I think I'll lift it and plant in a less prominent position and leave it to do or die.

Here it is in the arrid bed, between the Trithrinax and the little Butia, crappe isnt it?
Attachments
arrid bed (Medium).JPG
Frank

Post by Frank »

I think you're just very unlucky or have a duff plant there. It seems to get sun, you've given it free draining arid conditions and it even had a root ball, which I can't claim either of my two had much of.
But if after all that time that's the best it has done perhaps take it into hospital care and replace it with another one. Yes, it does look c**p :wink: :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

No I wouldnt replace it Frank, just hidden behind the ferox is a linearifolia and soooooo much a nicer plant so if I were to get another yucca it would be another of these.
The rostrata was a swap with Nige for a Butia strictior I had so it didnt cost me money or I would have been a bit peed off.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Heres the linearifolia
Attachments
IMG_1855 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1857 (Medium).JPG
Frank

Post by Frank »

Good example how taste differ, I prefer rostrata and think it makes a much more imposing plant.

Sorry Arlon, hijacking your thread here, if it's crown rot I wouldn't touch it as as I paid £10.00 more for a same sized partially rooted plant with healthy crown. Perhaps if you can take a pic and post it here to confirm.
Arlon Tishmarsh

I did have a pic of it and since my young laddy decided to do some cleaning up on the pc, it has along with a few others, vanished. Coincidence he claims in his defence. I did email the guy a week ago to see if i could go and see it, only 20 miles, but as yet no reply so i don't think it takes much to workout why. I was very suspicious in the first place about rostrata crown rot, having read about it on the net and also considering the guy is a palm freak iw ondered why sell it. Best left i think.
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:....Best left i think.
Mark, I think you have made the correct decision.

John
Frank

Post by Frank »

Mark? John :?

It's Arlon :lol: I think we're both having problems with names today, I called Nick Colin :roll:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Who's Fred and where does he come into it
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Frank wrote:Mark? John :?

It's Arlon :lol: I think we're both having problems with names today, I called Nick Colin :roll:
I was only going by the name supplied as the 'real name' when Arlon Tishmarsh signed up for membership, which is 'Mark S----e'.

Is Mark not the real name then?

Cheers

John
Arlon Tishmarsh

It is, i was jesting as i usually do. Do you think anyone saw the other bit.