Bougainvillea

irish dave

Bougainvillea

Post by irish dave »

Hi, Can Bougainvillea be grown in Ireland & England.Is it a hardy plant or does it need to be over wintered in doors.Has anyone tryed it,If so, what are the results.I would like to give it a try. icon_sunny
bougainvillea_Majorica.jpg
GARYnNAT

Re: Bougainvillea

Post by GARYnNAT »

I have tried it here a couple of times with unnamed GC varieties with no success, I know Dave N22 grows it in London outside with some success, I so love this plant, its amazing when you see it in full bloom on holiday on the continent that I am going to try again with a named variety in a sheltered spot, or in a conservatory..... well thats the aim anyway :D

Gary
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

Was it the cold that killed it,Or does it need a lot of sun and heat.What would be the best variety to get.
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

It was the cold Dave, Like I said the ones I tried came from a local GC and were unnamed. I did have a list of a few varieties that Dave N22 recommended that i put somewhere safe :oops: :oops: I am sure someone will recommend some, i did find a site once but when my PC crashed i lost my bookmarks. Maybe Tropical pete might have it as I sent him lots of my tropical bookmarks :D other than that its google which is how i found them in the first place :D

Gary
pete G

Post by pete G »

I've not found it to be hardy, but I have a potted plant outside that still looks good, but it has had frost protection.
Some varieties are hardier than others, I believe, but none are what I consider hardy.
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

It will defoliate at a few degrees above zero - so even in a frost-free greenhouse it doesn't look good over winter. Should come back OK in the spring, if you keep it nice and dry.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I like nice in pink
Attachments
S4010255.JPG
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ive tried a few times with these outside but no good, I grow them in the greenhouse now.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Mine, in my unheated greenhouse, is just bare twigs. I was going to bin it the other day but when I snapped a branch it still looked a bit green inside... I'll hang on to it if it looks like they defoliate anyway.
col

Post by col »

"....Bouganvillea, you have been found guilty on all counts of being a highly attractive and desirable plant and I therefore sentence you to be taken from this place to Col's house where you will be planted up in a pot in his warmest, sunniest location, whereupon you will rapidly turn brown and shrivel, until you are dead..."

Sadly, my Bouganvillea experience has brought me no'but tears..... :(

Col
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

It looks like,bring it out for the summer months. icon_thumleft And in for the winter. icon_thumbdown.Thanks
palmking

Post by palmking »

I have 3 plants. Two less hardy, Bougainvillea Spectabilis(Probably SpectabilisX Peruviana Hybrid). Will defoliate with regular temps below 8C. Probably stem hardy , not much below Zero C.

This plant is kept in an unheated porch over winter and dropped the remainder of its leaves in January.They bud up by April and bloom well from Late may through to possibly November, if brought indoors before the frost.

Key point ! don't bring them in to a heated room or significant temperature difference. They will likely defoliate in a couple of days.

Key 2 -don't over water.

Key 3 - Don't forget to water a little in winter when the soil surface dries out. A weekly spray at the soil level is adequate. A little more so from Now onwards, and planty water/feed in Late spring/Summer.You can induce blooming by letting it dry out to the point the plant wilts. then water/fertilise but i've not found this necessary.

Key 4. Aphids can attack them indoors - use a Systemic insecticide. Mine have been fine this year but they defoliated it last spring -soon recovers.

Key 5. They have a natural bloom/leaf growth cycle and dropping the leaves is a normal reaction to changes in termperature! It doesn't mean the plant is dead!!! - Trust me.

My other plant, a good climber , touching 7 foot high or so is also in the same porch and still is fully foliated and with some blooms.

This is a :

Bougainvillea Glabra Buttiana Hybrid(Glabra X Peruviana)

Leaf hardy to around +2C , Stem hardy to possibly -7C if kept under a canopy -I'm buying a 2nd plant to try trailing under a conifer trunk this years and overwintering it outside as a trial.

This plant seems to be ignored by aphids and other bugs. :o and is a star performer outside - Blooms early till late! -

here's a couple of useful links.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:BHXH ... cd=9&gl=uk

http://www.westdalenurseries.co.uk/

I got the less hardy ones for £6.50 each at stapeley water gardens.

The other I got from a local nursery. £12.99 for a 5 foot plant!

Paul
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

Thanks palmking i will try and find that variety and give it a go. icon_salut