March 1st - pics

irish dave

March 1st - pics

Post by irish dave »

Here comes the summer.Here's a few pics of my garden today with my new Butia Capitata.12c today. icon_sunny
March 1st - 2009 016.jpg
March 1st - 2009 017.jpg
March 1st - 2009 019.jpg
March 1st - 2009 023.jpg
March 1st - 2009 025.jpg
DAVIDEVANS

Re: March 1st - pics

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Excellent photos and all looking very cheerful. This is my first day out in the garden this year. The garden is a mess but your pics give me some hope - this is mine today - first off the toasties then a couple of survivors.
Attachments
Wahingtonia not so Robusta
Wahingtonia not so Robusta
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in the wrong Eco zone
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in the wrong Eco zone
Washingtonia Filifera
Washingtonia Filifera
More CIDPs
More CIDPs
Browned off Cycad
Browned off Cycad
Yucca Gloriosa Variegata enjoying the sunshine
Yucca Gloriosa Variegata enjoying the sunshine
faithful Trachycarpus
faithful Trachycarpus
Wilkos Chamaerops Humilis
Wilkos Chamaerops Humilis
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I really like your garden Dave, specially the Butia, :D I s it staying in a pot or are you planning on planting it out permanantly? It will grow quicker in the ground. 8)
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

....Emm! Irish Dave's garden that is. :oops: :?
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Irish Dave. Lovely garden. I like the used of different materials to form the different levels for the raised bed.
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

Looks like summer as already arrived in Ireland Dave, looks really nice .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nice and tidy Irish Dave, you have obviously had better weather than here. I have only been able to get out in the garden since mid Feb :roll:

Spent most of the time hacking back and digging out Golden heart ivy which looks good when young, but DOOOON'T plant it... It takes over as it roots at every leaf node on the ground :ahhh!: Taken 3 car loads to the dump so far, you should not compost it as it has plant growth inhibitors in it :roll:
210209 pics 021.jpg
Fairly cool here today much cooler than Fri/Sat, November grey overcast sky and only 8.9C so far, but snapped this earlier icon_thumright
010309 Bumble Bee.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by NattiH »

Great pics Irish Dave! Instills hope that spring and summer are just around the corner - as does the photo of the Bumble Bee DaveB! The sun has been fighting to get out here all day and is just winning the fight so a bright afternoon here hopefully - we're currently at 9.5C :D
col

Post by col »

Great garden, Irish Dave - its looking good! :D
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Wow Dave that garden is unbelievable! :shock: Ireland!?! You sure do have a good eye for balance and depth and that palm - is it a butia?

Wow Dave winter has been harsh for you! :shock: That cycad just look a little sleepy, a bit of warm weather and it will be off...

Wow Dave that ivy thing must be a bitch! :shock: But that yellow flower with the bumblebee is very nice - what is it?
NattiH

Post by NattiH »

Wow Sean - you're full of Wows today! :wink: :lol:
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

Thanks for the comments.I have a bigger pot for the butia which I'm going to sink a little in to the ground and hide with rocks,It should look good when finished.I covered everything this year with fleece,during the frosts.Better safe than sorry.Its a bit of a pain taking them on and off.But the result is healthy green palms.Also we got no snow here,If that happened it might be a different story.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Wow Sean - you're full of Wows today!
Yeah I thought I would get it all off my chest in one post...

But truly - Wow on each count :shock:

:oops: Sorry... I just had to let one more off...
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

irish dave wrote:Thanks for the comments.I have a bigger pot for the butia which I'm going to sink a little in to the ground and hide with rocks,It should look good when finished.I covered everything this year with fleece,during the frosts.Better safe than sorry.Its a bit of a pain taking them on and off.But the result is healthy green palms.Also we got no snow here,If that happened it might be a different story.

just so long as it don't root through the bottom of the pot Dave, I've had that happen to me before thinking there's plenty of room in a pot in spring only to find by the end of autumn it's stuck fast to the soil below. :?
Besides, a Butia should be hardy for you planted straight out shouldn't it?
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

I think your garden looks fantastic, Irish Dave!
Some magnificent plants, and nice use of hard landscaping materials. I'm liking that shape you've formed with the decking tiles, and I particularly like the levels, especially that sort of column with the potted palm on top (I might have to pay tribute to some of those ideas in my own patch). I also like the light walls with the trellis panels on - some very nice touches which give a very mediterranean feel.
Dave Evans - sad to see some of your casualties, but I know you've had a tough winter in your area - I saw a number of browned off looking CIDPs when I was up that way this weekend. I'm sure it'll all be looking good by summer though, even if you are left with a couple of new planting opportunities. I think I've seen cycads like that look great again after a new flush.
Pete