Aeonium schwarzkopf - to chop or not?

DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I have an Aeonium schwarzkopf which I have over wintered in the house and it's a bit leggy now. I would say it's about 18" tall, a single stem like a lollipop.

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that you can chop the top off and use it as a cutting and the stem will re-grow?

It's the only one I've got so I don't want to kill it off! If I do take the top off, how do I root it and is it the right time of year?

Any help appreciated.
redsquirrel

Re: Aeonium schwarzkopf - to chop or not?

Post by redsquirrel »

i was like you with my first one.eventually followed advice and cut near the lowest green bit of stem,let it dry for a few days and shove it in a pot of gritty compost.didnt take hardly any time to get going again.the stump was still too long so i cut a few 2 inch pieces,marking the top,let them dry and planted them.a month or 2 later,they were all branching out.towards the end of last summer,i was selling 'potted branches' at a bootsale at £1.00 a go.dont think it makes much difference when you do it so long as its in the dry.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Yep just cut the top off, as redsquirrel says, let the top dry out for a day or so then pot it up and it will root in no time. This is a good time of year to do it, as the top will have time to root before summer then you can put it outside to make the most of the summer.
All my aeoniums have continued to grow over winter, and I propped a lot of them,as does Paul H. it gives you something to do over winter.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Thanks for that guys, I'll have a go this weekend. icon_thumleft
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Yep, sounds like its definately asta la vista baby!