Moving TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer)

Neil

Moving TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer)

Post by Neil »

Hello All,
This has probably been covered before, but can anybody give me some advice on moving a Tetrapanax Rex from one part of the garden to another. The plant in question has a stem of approx 6-7 inches is pretty thick with a strong growing point already starting to shoot. Would i get away with moving it if i took enough soil with the rootball? Thanks in advance for your help. neil :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Moving Tetrapanax Rex

Post by Dave Brown »

It is possible Neil, as others have done it, but I have not personally. It seems they do get set back a bit so it may not romp away after the move. However be ready for pups from all the severed roots :lol: My guess would be spring as before the plant grows leaves, would be the best time :wink: But as I say never done it myself :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by lee-ann »

Sorry cant answer your question neil but I'd like to ask when is best to plant out It's only ickle.
Thanks
Attachments
HPIM0992.JPG
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Neil I took a risk and dug ours up in the Autumn and potted it up, yesterday i was working outside and noticed it had started to shoot from the top :D , will post a pic of the new growth in the morning however this is the beast in question
garden sept 08 075.jpg
and in its dustbin pot
garden sept 08 190.jpg
Gary
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Gary,
How long did it take to get that big.? It's a plant I was thinking of getting as I love the large leaves, but that would be a little big/tall for my small garden.
NattiH

Post by NattiH »

Bob, it was in the garden for 3 years. It went in as a 6" pup, and is now 7ft tall.

We had 2 - we gave 1 to Gaz and Mark and kept this one. Both pups came from the same source - can't remember who it was but it was a member of UKO. Ours has remianed as a single trunk, has never pupped while Gaz and Mark's is less tall and Gary says he thinks the trunk has forked, and has pupped like crazy!

When we lifted it for the move it had a HUGE root system and we didn't get all the roots, so maybe we will get some pups from the roots left behind, or from the main plant - who knows?! :D

Lee-ann - wait until the frosts have gone and then it will be fine - make sure you give it plenty of room! :D
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Ours has remianed as a single trunk
opps little spelling mistake there ..... English language student as well :D :oops: :oops:

Gary
NattiH

Post by NattiH »

Behave Gary!! :P It was a typo! :DD
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Yes Dear :oops: :oops: :oops:

:D :lol:

Gary
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Wedded bliss huh... :lol:
Bob

Post by Bob »

NattiH wrote:Bob, it was in the garden for 3 years. It went in as a 6" pup, and is now 7ft tall.

We had 2 - we gave 1 to Gaz and Mark and kept this one. Both pups came from the same source - can't remember who it was but it was a member of UKO. Ours has remianed as a single trunk, has never pupped while Gaz and Mark's is less tall and Gary says he thinks the trunk has forked, and has pupped like crazy!

When we lifted it for the move it had a HUGE root system and we didn't get all the roots, so maybe we will get some pups from the roots left behind, or from the main plant - who knows?! :D

Lee-ann - wait until the frosts have gone and then it will be fine - make sure you give it plenty of room! :D
Hi Natt, thanks for the reply. and there was me worrying about my little echium seedling taking over. Definitely the plant to have if you have the space.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Tetrapanax pap empress just shown on the Plant Addicts program must have been about 12 feet tall. Anyone know how tall they ultimately get :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GARYnNAT »

quick pic of the new growth
garden feb 09 019.jpg
garden feb 09 020.jpg
I am glad that it has started to grow again from the top, i was a little concerned that it may reshoot from the bottom and we would loose all the trunk, touch wood so far so good :D

Gary
simon

Post by simon »

I was doing some weeding in the front garden yesterday and I accidentally dug up a piece of Trex root with a pup growing on it. I was quite suprised as it was about 5 feet away from the 1 foot high plant :shock: . I counted 5 visible pups in close proximity to the plant. Who knows how many more are going to emerge.

This plant is a pup from Carolpz so I should't be suprised it's a prolific pupper but I dread to think where they will come up when the plant is 5 foot high. Looks like I will have a few swaps for Akamba :D .