How hardy is hardy for Phoenix roebelenii ?

dyls

How hardy is hardy for Phoenix roebelenii ?

Post by dyls »

Well, I bought one of those ...ahem... "fully hardy" Phoenix roebelenii from Bang and Screw this Spring, and knowing that it wasn't, put it in a very large pot so I could bring it inside, making sure it had decent drainage. It's got a trunk, and the pot and plant is pretty damned heavy so I don't like to move it too often!

Just how hardy are they? So far, I've dragged it in twice (once a false alarm, it didn't even get close to frosty), and once last week when there was a frost forecast. It never quite got down to freezing at my house, but 2 miles inland there was a little frost.

If you had a nice, trunked roebi in a pot and really didn't want to lose it, what would be your threshold for dragging it indoors?
helen

Post by helen »

Mine are already inside! I bring them in when a frost is forecast, and leave them there until Spring. They are too heavy to keep moving in and out and in and ....
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
dyls

Post by dyls »

How light is your house? Mine's an old Victorian house with relatively small windows - how well do they tolerate low light levels?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Mine is also in. And wont go out again 'till spring.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is the third time I have written this, keeps bombing me out when trying to post... Problem with connectivity my end :evil:

Gonna CTRL C before attempting it again.

I have 2 Phoenix reobelenii, one is about 8 feet tall inc. tub and was bought from Martin Gibbons in the carner shop Palm Centre back in 1991/2 time. The other a a 2 footer from B & Q in the summer. :D

The big one spent most of last winter outside and was finally brought under cover on 23rd Jan just before the snow arrived. It then went back outside for another couple of weeks until the second lot of snow on Feb 7th/8th which saw the coldest night of the winter. It was then inside until mid March but only as I could not be bothered to lug it about.

This autumn both of them were outside until 11th Nov, and were both subjected to an unextected ground frost where the forecast was 6C and it actually fell to 0.9C :shock: Although both were exposed there was no damage. Then they were moved on 11th under the open fronted covered courtyard. We have has a few hoare frosts since then including a sheilded low of -1.1C and a grass surface temp of -4.8C. Again neither of them have showna ny sign of damage.

With your mild climate in the IoM I would expect you to get away with tying the leaves up and wrapping with several layers of fleece. I know Adrian has tried these outside and he gets down to -8C.

Light levels do not need to be high as they are jungle plants, although they can adapt to full sun (in time) Main thing is not to encourage growth while in a gloomy environment. So cool and dim should be ok for periods of time.

All tucked up on 11th Nov.

Frost of 14th/15th Nov
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Hi Dyls, yes, Ive had them outside and they come through winter with damage but they do come through.
This year I have a 3m trunked roebelenii thats had the fronds tied up and fleece wrapped around the fronds and is pushed up tight to the house wall.
Another couple of smaller ones are planted out but I cant lift them so its do or die, they made it through last winter.
I have two 6 footers jammed in the greenhouse and two 10 footers wintering inside the conservatory and another couple of smaller ones in an unheated cloche/greenhouse (those sold by B+Q this year).

If anyone asks me if they are hardy, my answer is always NO. They arent hardy, yes you can get lucky and get through a few winters but you cant drop your guard.

The one big thing you must remember with roebelenii, they need a lot of aclimatising to any sun when put out or uncovered the following spring.
Ive had more damage caused by this than by winter cold.

If I had your palm I would either leave it outside in a sheltered spot or bring it in for winter, all this in and out and in and out is a pain in the backside.

As youre on the IoM and your climate is different to here, are there any others planted out? thats always a good measure to go by.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian wrote:
As you're on the IoM and your climate is different to here, are there any others planted out? thats always a good measure to go by.
Someone always has to be the first :wink:

They grow in the mountains of Vietnam and Laos, which has temps down to around 5C. So if heavily fleeced in a milder part of the UK it may be viable. I would be inclined to build a polycabonate palm house around it for winter much like Bananaman did for his flowering basjoo. It is only to protect from freezes, rather than the odd frosty night of March or April when a fleece thrown over will surffice. Sun is not a problem if they are grown outside, That is partly why mine stays out whenever possible. you must not let it grow inside or you get weaker growth prone to burning. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Ill go for weaker growth Dave, its growth and I can protect it with shade netting or by thoughfull siting in the spring, Ive learnt the hard way though.
I dont stop mine growing inside the conservatory, they arent there to over winter, they are there to look good and grow as houseplants.
I go against the 'rules' with palms, I dont keep bad or half dead leaves on a palm just to get optimum growth, I grow them to suit my tastes and thats to see palms looking good, all trimmed up and tidy.
The majority of palm growers would disagree with my way but Ill say, come and have a look, it works here.
Mark

Post by Mark »

He is right I have seen them in the conservatory and out side and they do look great. ( his wife Debbie also makes topnotch bacon butties too )

All round Ades then :lol:
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

My 'Fully Hardy' B&Q palm is inside too. Within a couple of days of me buying it the leaves were sun burnt. I've got used to the coppery tone on its older leaves and now think it looks quite natural :D
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Ours looked pristine last year on full sun, also bought from B&Q. Overwintered indoors then back out in the same spot last spring, alot of the leaves turned coppery just like Andy's.

Now it's back in but we'll put it in a shadier spot next spring. However it still seems happy and is flowering at the moment :)
dyls

Post by dyls »

Well, this is why I want to keep it outside as much as possible - we don't have too many frosty days after all, and I'd rather keep it acclimated to the amount of light it gets in its current position.

...looks like pretty much the entire British Isles is in for some frigidity come Friday though! (-10 in some parts of eastern Scotland is forecast, it looks like we'll get right around 0).

As for other specimen, I have not seen any other phoenix roebi. here at all, mine is the only one. It's in front of the house, and therefore I'd like to keep it looking as nice as possible.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dyls, I was trying to say but didnt, roebeleniis arent fast growers, without winter growth it wont do much until mid summer, if like me, you remove damaged leaves then the crown just gets smaller.
Good luck with it anyway, hopefully winter will be kind again.
Im trying a coupe of different ways of wintering those outside, Im not so worried about the roebeleniis but Im after the best way to winter my canariensis x roebelenii, get the weak one through in good shape and the hybrid should be fine.
Its had greenhouse winter protection for three years and its fast becoming time to plant it out.
Oh, I should add that the hybrid doesnt have the same burning problem as the roebeleniis.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Ade, can you post a picture of your canariensis x roebelenii, I imagine its a very handsome palm.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Here we are Andy, this taken in july.
It is likely to be a great palm, I couldnt believe the Palm Centre had trouble getting rid of them, well price maybe. As far as I know they had around ten and still had some two years later from the same batch, the only batch Ive seen.

Its like a big roebelenii, bigger trunk, bigger leaves, flowering early, this one has had three seasons in flower. Its more roebelenii than canariensis, strange as the canariensis was the mother.
Unfortunately I dont know anyone else with one so looks like Ill have to take the gamble when I think its ready instead of jumping on someone elses experiences be they good or bad.