4 trunked washingtonia robusta

Bob

Re: 4 trunked washingtonia robusta

Post by Bob »

Mick C wrote:
Bob wrote:I bought a three trunker, similar to the OP pic, last summer. Is it worth splitting them and growing on as individuals? Or am I going to encounter something unsplittable when I get it out of the pot?
It is possible to split them if you are careful Bob. I did it with a couple of three trunkers two years ago because I decided that I didn't like the appearance, and all plants survived (until I neglected the smaller ones).

It was not an easy process; even after washing all of the soil away, it was difficult to separate the tangle of roots. They were slightly larger than the one on Jezza's photo; much bigger and it would probably not have worked.
Thanks Mick,
icon_thumright
I only ask, as I tried to split a Chamaerops humilis last year without success, even my axe bounced off it!

Here's my washy,
Attachments
22032009.jpg
simon

Post by simon »

Bob wrote:I only ask, as I tried to split a Chamaerops humilis last year without success, even my axe bounced off it!
The big difference between a multi-headed chamaerops and these Washies is that the Washies are simply several separate seedlings placed in the same pot so they can be separated if you can untangle the roots without damaging them. Chamaerops actually produce offsets so they share the root ball and may well be attached at the base of the trunk.
Bob

Post by Bob »

simon wrote:
Bob wrote:I only ask, as I tried to split a Chamaerops humilis last year without success, even my axe bounced off it!
The big difference between a multi-headed chamaerops and these Washies is that the Washies are simply several separate seedlings placed in the same pot so they can be separated if you can untangle the roots without damaging them. Chamaerops actually produce offsets so they share the root ball and may well be attached at the base of the trunk.
Hi Simon,
I see, I suppose it would be difficult to sell those Washies as individual plants at that size, the multi makes a fuller looking, saleable plant. I just wonder what happens in a few years time with those trunks so close together.
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

most never get to a size where that becomes a problen Bob :(

Gary
Bob

Post by Bob »

I live in hope Gary. :)
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

GARYnNAT wrote:Guys be careful, these are marginal plants hardy wise at the best of times, I would be very hesitant in planting them out until they get to a decent size, Dave browns is a reasonable size and has suffered quite badly this winter, my own has a trunk 3ft tall and stands 8ft tall overall, i still give it an overhead cover for winter but it still gets the end of the fronds burnt. I lost several small DIY shed washies before spending rather a lot more on this decent sized one :D

Gary
I'm not so sure about this Gary. Common concensous is that the larger the palm, the more hardy it is, but this winter my tiny, (and I mean tiny!) Washys have faired much better than my larger ones. The local garden centre have found the same.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I'm not so sure about this Gary. Common concensous is that the larger the palm, the more hardy it is, but this winter my tiny, (and I mean tiny!) Washys have faired much better than my larger ones. The local garden centre have found the same.
I agree with Gary on this one. Washies are just not reliably hardy in this country. They have been available/on sale for years now and yet you'll struggle to see one thriving/alive anywere in the UK.

There's a reason for that. Thye're not hardy. :roll:
bodster

Post by bodster »

I take issue with this point that people keep saying - just because something isn't common doesn't mean its not hardy. I agree in the case of washingtonias but five years ago you'd have struggled to find a butia in anyones garden but they seem to sail through the winter.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

photonbucket wrote:[
Common concensous is that the larger the palm, the more hardy it is, but this winter my tiny, (and I mean tiny!) Washys have faired much better than my larger ones. The local garden centre have found the same.
It must have been down to different exposure Tom. The laws of physics come into play here. The larger the palm the longer it takes to freeze through. The longer it takes to freeze through, the harder the frost it can endure to a point, or the longer it can endure the frost before the fatal temperature is reached at the core. Palms grown from seed in the UK tend to have thicker trunks then tropical grown ones, and this may be a survival technique. :wink:

Chamaerops can be divided but are basically cuttings. The pups need to be quite large to be able to survive without roots and most leaves removed. However, it is a long process and when I did it back in 1992, about 3 survived from 20 odd cuttings..... but it took 3 years :ahhh!: To be quite honest they would have grown to that size from seed in the same time. I wrote a letter in the EPS Chamaerops journal on this. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by photonbucket »

I left my baby washys out expecting them to be toast by the end of the winter, but they are far less damaged than my big one. As you said Dave, it may be that the slightly differing aspects have affected the results.

Its very difficult to get a definitive answer on this because putting a pup next to a mature washy wouldnt work either; it would be protected by the biggy.

Logic would have it the big one would stand more of a chance outside, except the fact that it would be affected more by cold winds.
real_ale

Post by real_ale »

here's mine multi stem Washy, its took a bit of winter damage, will it regrow, the base of all the stems feel firm. (and it had protection over the winter)
Attachments
IMG00002-20090222-1217.jpg
palmking

Post by palmking »

As already said - Washingtonia's in that state are just grouped seedlings grown together for Aesthetic effect!.

Chammies form 'pups' from the main trunk and are near to impossible to root! (Edit! trust Dave to prove me wrong!!!!)

I often cut them anyway to improve the upward growth rate but it's down to personal preference.

You can separate the Washies. Carefully shake off all the soil and then again carefully undo the knot of roots and I mean knot! until they're free. If you're lucky and i've done it, you'll soon have 4 separate plants with very little root damage.

They are much more resilient as a single plant and i've read before now that as grouped plants they'll not attain the great age or height of a single(climate dependant of course!).

They start to suffer from strangulation and will yellow quite quickly eventually. Once they're parted their growth rate improves and they're overall vigour and leaf colouration is much better too.

They do not suffer badly from transplantation but I've used a diluted formulation (added water) to a natural growth hormone gel before as a first watering afterwards and it worked a treat!

Paul :D :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

palmking wrote:As already said - Washingtonia's in that state are just grouped seedlings grown together for Aesthetic effect!.

Chammies form 'pups' from the main trunk and are near to impossible to root! (Edit! trust Dave to prove me wrong!!!!)

I often cut them anyway to improve the upward growth rate but it's down to personal preference.

You can separate the Washies. Carefully shake off all the soil and then again carefully undo the knot of roots and I mean knot! until they're free. If you're lucky and i've done it, you'll soon have 4 separate plants with very little root damage.

They are much more resilient as a single plant and i've read before now that as grouped plants they'll not attain the great age or height of a single(climate dependant of course!).

They start to suffer from strangulation and will yellow quite quickly eventually. Once they're parted their growth rate improves and they're overall vigour and leaf colouration is much better too.

They do not suffer badly from transplantation but I've used a diluted formulation (added water) to a natural growth hormone gel before as a first watering afterwards and it worked a treat!

Paul :D :lol:
I've only just repotted mine so i may give that a go next year although i think i may have some trouble. When i repotted it recently the roots had been growing at a rapid rate. Not many roots when i bought it (no pot at all and was outside in the freeze!), and at the time i planted it in a pot that was twice the size it needed, then brought it indoors and left it on a south facing windowsill. It went into a root growth explosion and within 4 months it was rootbound and had thrown up 6 new leaves!!

Since repotting it into a larger pot two weeks ago two more spears have emerged.