What's the biggest gunnera?

daz

What's the biggest gunnera?

Post by daz »

Hi guys i like the gunner'a plant and was just wandering.What's the biggest anyone has seen?Also do you have pics?.The biggest i'v seen was one on the net{may have been u tube}a guy cut a leaf off and completly covered a ford orion car :D This is mine still got along way to go yet lol
Mark

Post by Mark »

There are some huge ones near me in the Savill gardens.

They get bigger later in the season too.
daz

Post by daz »

Wow hats a gud un mark.Whats the recepie for big gunnera's ? just waterand chicken poo? :lol:
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

The biggest ones I've ever seen were at Trebah in Cornwall, you could easily go walkabout underneath the leaves.
There was a thread on the old UKO about Gunnera where it was suggested that most of the Gunnera available from Garden Centres is in fact Gunnera tinctoria even if its labelled as G.manicata. My manicata turned out to be tinctoria.
If you have G.tinctoria then it isn't likely to get as large, only up to about 6ft.
daz

Post by daz »

I'v heard of that before andy! I got one of mine from a place called brigg garden centre.Ilso one of a friend form another forumcalled banana man i feel sure that one's a manicata.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Here's my effort.....

It's hard to get a sense of scale from this pic, but you could easily walk under it.

Very spiky too!
daz

Post by daz »

Very nice david.How long doese it take to get that big?As most of the people know on here i have a stream running thruogh my garden so i think thay will grow well there.[plenty of water] :lol:
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Yes ... they do grow large in a short span of time.
Here's a small sampling of Gunnera at Arrowsmith Garden Center on the Port Alberni Hwy (Vancouver Island). For scale the white stand pipe / sprinkler in front of them is about 6' tall. These line the proerty along the roadside.

Cheers, Barrie.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The one Ive grown here for the last 10/12 years was from the Mill Water Garden in Romsey, where Charlie Dimmock became manager. They had/still have, some real beauties on the river bank, biggest Ive ever seen.
Daz, its your garden that gets flooded, is that right, well a Gunnera manicata will love its feet in the river, youll get some massive leaves given a few years.
Im fed up of growing Manicata for a while anyway, Lucien is having the very last piece at the Wisley meet.
Last time I was Abbotsbury, they had quite a few that were just starting into the years growth, I recon they would have been monsters.
daz

Post by daz »

Yes mate it did get flooded however this is not a regular thing . In fact this was the first time in about 40 yrs.Will it be ok then mate for the gunnera to more or less be planted in the stream?Do thay like to be sat in water? :D
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

No, hang fire Daz, I actually drowned the first one I had. I planted it on the margin of the pond and the crown was submerged, it drowned.
They love thier roots in water but plant above any water line. Any occassional flooding will be fine.
If you planted yours on the river bank it would find the water on its own, youll need to keep it well watered at first until it was established.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:Yes ... they do grow large in a short span of time.
Here's a small sampling of Gunnera at Arrowsmith Garden Center on the Port Alberni Hwy (Vancouver Island). For scale the white stand pipe / sprinkler in front of them is about 6' tall. These line the proerty along the roadside.

Cheers, Barrie.

We have big Gunnera manicatas like that one on the picture. In the wild I have seen several species of Gunnera, big ones in the clouded mountainhiglands of Costa Rica, big ones growing with their feet in a mountainstream near Merida, Venezuela and lots of G. tinctoria also on humid places, often close to mountainstreams and on rocky places with cheapage.

Cheers,

Alexander
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

"cheapage"?
I'm unfamiliar with that term. What does it mean?

Cheers, Barrie.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Big ones in Cornwall too Daz, especially in Trebah gardens

Mind you this was taken in May, it's not even it's maximum height yet :)

It likes it's feet constantly wet/boggy otherwise it droops easily especially on full sun.
Mark

Post by Mark »

who Gaz or the Gunnera :lol: