Shade-loving exotics for my sun-biased garden?

col

Shade-loving exotics for my sun-biased garden?

Post by col »

Just looking out over my garden this morning and just noticed that there is a terrible bias towards sun-loving plants on the sunny side and pretty much naff-all on the shady side, save for my Dicksonia antarctica, Gunnera, and some ferns. I suppose most people end up with the same situation with the darkest garden recesses getting forgotten about.

To save me trawling through the internet and reams of RHS bumpf on my bookshelf, what are your star shade-loving exotic or just plain unusual trees or plants?

Col
Last edited by col on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyd44

Re: Shade-loving exotics for my sun-biased garden?

Post by bobbyd44 »

i have limited knowledge but i know my mouse plant is doing well!! i split it last year and now sprouted back as two big clumps
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

My garden is exactly the same, almost all focus on the sunny side with the other side being ignored and left half empty. But I do have a few plants in there that do well. The mouse plant as mentioned before, Arisarum Proboscideum, is a good performer in deep shade, it's just a shame it makes the flowers difficult to see. As are most Arisaemas. Lots of ferns obviously. I have a Schefflera Impressa planted in shade as well, although I have nothing to compare it to for growth rates it doesn't seem to mind at all. I know some people plant Trachys in full shade and have commented on the fact that you get a more delicate palm. I also have Fargesia Jiuzhaigou (a lovely purple stemmed bamboo) on that side, again it seems to do fine there and while it may not grow as fast, that is not a bad thing for bamboos.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Fatsia japonica look better in shade & a variagated one will help brighten up a dark corner... Good old Aspidistra's do well out in a shady spot in the garden too...
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Hi I have cynara /ligularis/rheum plus hostas they all grow well in shade. I will take a pic later if I dont get blown away. They are all starting to come back so all hardy.
simon

Post by simon »

On my shady side I have Gunnera tinctoria, Rheum palmatum 'tanguticum', Darmera peltata, Fatsia japonica, Canna stuttgart (if it comes back), Hostas, Cyathea cooperi and Fargesia muriellae 'Bimbo'.
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

They may not look much now but look great and grow large in summer :)
Attachments
HPIM1054.JPG
HPIM1055.JPG
Don

Post by Don »

Few more-Rodgersia, Cardiocrinum, Kirengeshoma palmata, Arums/Arisaema.
Essexman

Post by Essexman »

I'm rather fond of Astilboides tabularis. Osmunda regalis is a welcome addition too. Lamium orvala has amazing flowers. Begonia evansiana impresses. Rheum is growing on me (not literally). These of course all require moisture in the soil.

If it's harsh deep and dry shade try Iris foetidissima, Fatsia japonica, Vinca major variegata (the plain form is too aggressive), Digitalis and Alchemilla mollis.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Funnily enough I've got some shade planting planned for the next few weeks but in my north-facing border a few I've got here and which are doing well for me are Neopanax laetus (formerly Pseudopanax), a young Pseudopanax lessonii linearifolius which after this winter (-6.8 ) are absolutely fine apart from slight burning on some of the laetus foliage, Pulmonarias, Bergenias, Epimedium, Zantedeschia aethiopica and Green Goddess, Begonia grandis, Persicaria Red Dragon, a small lime green variegated bamboo whose name I can't remember for the life of me :roll: Chamaerops humilis, Hellebores, Hostas (I prefer Sum and Substance in shade) Ophiopogon nigrescens which I thought might lose its colour but hasn't and like Chris, Schefflera impressa. I think Trachycarpus fortunei grows well in shade too but I haven't tried it.
Spezzo

Post by Spezzo »

I've got mainly Ferns, Skimmias, a Dicksonia antarctica and Fatsias in my shady area...oh and next doors cat seems to do quite well in the shade too!!
Attachments
Image017.jpg
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

I think most of my suggestions have already been taken.
I'd echo Sarah's suggestion of Neopanax laetus - I don't have this (yet) but it's on my list and is meant to be better in shade, even quite dense shade.
Begonia grandis evansiana is another favourite (and again already suggested) in both the usual pink flowered, and the white flowered form. Some other Begonias are probably worth a punt - Benitochiba and Metallic Mist, and perhaps B palmata and B sutherlandii.
I don't think anyone has suggested Impatiens yet? I'd definitely include I omeiana in any shade planting, and also I arguta and I tinctoria. There are lots of others, but those are probably the most reliably hardy.
Farfugium is also quite good in shade - certainly my F aureomaculatum is better in shade than in sun.
Another plant that I like, and which is putting on good growth again now (I wasn't sure if it would prove hardy) is Saxifraga fortunei 'Wada'.
As well as Fatsia, X Fatshedera lizei is a good shade plant.
Also Arum italicum pictum.
And how about the Roscoeas?
And the Podophyllums...
Maianthemum stellata...Polygonatum...
Pete
themes

Post by themes »

I felt the inbalance with shade and non shade Col. My initial and biggest hinderance was seeing shade as a bad thing. I can not imagine my garden without shade. To address the planting I have concentrated on buying plants that will do well in the shade. Now the balance has tilted the other way, I have more dense planting in the shade then in the sun. I like the shaded part of my garden more. I have the following if this helps..

Fatsia japonica, (fatsehydra (spelling :ahhh!: :oops: as Pete suggested is a great alternative)
Tetrapanax
Gunnera Manicata
Rheum Palmatum
Choiysa Tenata sundance
Chamaedorea radicalis
Yucca Gloriosa and Eliphantipes (My garden My plants If i want it in the shade thats my choice :DD )
Dicksonia antarctica
Hedychiums (assorted types)
Ferns my fav being Asplenium scolopendrium
Buta Erio and Odorata (again my choice )
Geraniums (one being Johnsons Blue unsure about the other one with pink flowers)
Rhododendrons
Camellias
Azaleas
I want an Illicium Simonsii badly not from Crug...
Rhapidophyllum Hystrix
Jubaea
Pheonix Canariensis

Just some suggestions, all doing well in shade
col

Post by col »

Mo, you are spot on when you said (in so many words) you did better when you stopped seeing shade as a bad thing. I must admit I am guilty of this attitude - but reading the excellent responses to my question has taught me that there are a great many fantastic plants you can plant in shade......

If I play my cards right, the shady part of my garden could turn just as interesting as the rest....

Col
Simba

Post by Simba »

I'll be starting work on my shady area in teh next few weeks, so this thread and all the advice is brilliant.... icon_thumleft