TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer)

Nigel Fear

Re: Tetrapanax

Post by Nigel Fear »

[/quote] Simba.

So what do you do to overwinter it..??

One I saw last weekend that looked like having a tree trunk, so it obviously hadn't gone down to ground level and started again.... :?[/quote]

I should think you'll be alright Simba, unless it's a tichy tiny baby Rex.
:D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ade, correct me if I am wrong, but this was your T'Rex last September and was quite clearly already of monsterous proportions then..... what is it like now then :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
Attachments
140908 SC Meet 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Ill do a pic at the weekend Dave, last year it was just pretending :wink:
Nick

Post by Nick »

I transplanted mine, so it's been put back a bit due to root damage moving it, but it has 3 dinner plate leafs, one side plate size leaf and one new leaf that you can watch it growing, well it did have a good drink today tho :D .Cathy so please yours is doing well, mine was only months old when winter struck, as it was in full growth I did not cover it over and then we had the big freeze, by then it was to late, it's leafs went purple brown then fell off, but only after the cold had gone, and now it's growing well again, all be it a bit slow this year, it's in a raised bed of peat grit sand and 6mm shingle, where last year it was in the garden soil with lots of chic poo and water, glad your happy with yours Cathy, I wont to grow a forest of then, I really love them.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
bev

Post by bev »

here's a couple of pics of mine, the first pic was taken on 26.3.09 the second today. i have since removed the acanthus and replaced it with a musa paradise(?) not hardy and the bare patches on the left have now got a musella lasiocarpa and a colocasia illustris. still much more to go but i'm still waiting for the washy in the background to start moving before i decide whether to replace it.

cheers

lee
Attachments
n96 pics up to 04 09 105.jpg
29052009235.jpg
themes

Post by themes »

I brought a small one last year (REX) and left it outdoors. No protection and it has survived icon_cheers and putting up bigger leaves. I decided to plant it next to a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP as I thought the two monsters could fight amongst themselves and cancel each other out, although they are both small plants at the moment unlike Ades fab pics. I lost the leaves in winter but they started growing new ones in April with the first warm spells.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Heres the monster, very hard to believe that its just coming into its third year.
Not bad considering it doesnt get watered or fed.
Im wondering what it will get to be like by the end of the summer as this is what? 4 or 5 weeks growth, maybe a bit more.

Note the big holes left by the defoliation of both Phoenix canariensis and Washingtonia robusta.
Attachments
IMG_2991 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2992 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2993 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2994 (Medium).JPG
bodster

Post by bodster »

I bet your house is a bit lighter now Adrian :)
bev

Post by bev »

that's looking very nice ade, with a nice hot summer that will be a whopper. i've got the same problem as you with my washy, has yours shown any sign of movement yet?

cheers

lee
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes its alive Bev, the yellowy growth at the top of the trunk is this years movement, its moving albeit slowly.
My problem is that I dont water the front garden but I might have to get something rigged up around the Washy for a while to keep it supplied with water.
themes

Post by themes »

Its hard to believe that they are only three years old. Amazing growth, Ade
Simba

Post by Simba »

I was just about to plant my T.Diddy Rex, and decided I'd take a quick look on t'internet to see just how big it could be in a couple of years time, and how much room I should allow.

I came across this amazing photo diary, and I just had to post the link....

http://www.pbase.com/pillharrier/tetrapanax_rex
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Simba I posted the link on another post I was so amazed by the growth. Awesome :o
Simba

Post by Simba »

Sorry about that Lee-Ann.
I would have been a bit surprised if that page hadn't been viewed before, but it is absolutely awesome isn't it.... :D
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

I planted mine out last week close to a path, I'm thinking maybe I should move it - but where to?

. . . although at that rate of growth we'll soon be walking underneath it! icon_cheers