phoenix roebelenii

bev

Re: phoenix robellenii

Post by bev »

hi jon, forget the water treatment, i don't think it will work. bugsy first at amulree! :lol:

cheers

lee
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kentgardener wrote:
Adrian wrote:Ive never had a problem with any wintered in the greenhouse, I still stand them in water all through winter as well.
I never realised these were another palm that likes to stand in water - Dave told me that about the Ravenea rivularis and it is so much happier since sitting with its feet paddling. I shall now try it with my Phoenix roebelenii (this is how I think it should be spelt). The roebelenii has always been a disapointing palm to me and I was all set to give it away at Amulree - I shall now see if the water treatment will make it look better.

Thanks Ade. icon_thumleft
:oops: :oops: Sorry John :oops: :oops: I thought you knew about Phoenix, all Phoenix palms that I have grown thrive standing in water, including dactylifera (common Date), although they only stay in water over winter by accident. My dactylifera pots were completely submergered over the last winter due to melt water running into the pot holders they were in, and they are fine :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sorry don't like replying straight after my previous reply..... BUT... Here are my Phoenix roebelenii. They have both been subjected to -4C in the unheated covered bit. The large one has taken 3 years to grow out all the burnt conservatory grown leaves for nice healty sun grown ones. Maybe as stated earlier in the topic, the greenhouse ones are sun hardy, by my experience is that conservatory grown ones are not. These are both now fully sun hardy, and that is the way I intend to keep them. There is a lot more heat in sunnier parts of the garden and more soil warming also. :wink:

I am considering planting the smaller one out this summer :wink:
Attachments
310509 P roebelenii 01.jpg
310509 P roebelenii 02.jpg
310509 P roebelenii 03.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

Thats a quality crown Dave.
My one remaining big trunker is too big for the greenhouse so it has to be the conservatory, I have no other choice. I tried the other one of the pair outside last winter, had it hard up against the side of the house and fleeced the leaves but no good.
I plant my smaller ones out and lift them come winter, less maintenance.

How come the trunk isnt self cleaning ? looks like it has kept its old leaf bases all the way down. Mine falls away even if the birds dont strip it.
Looks better stripped in my opinion, more tropical looking.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ade, the old leaf bases just remain on of their own free will, however, the bottom 18 inches are bare trunk. Here is a pic of the whole palm from the side :wink:
Attachments
300509 1322 BG.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

ive never seen one like that before dave,awesome tree. do you think it might have a touch of hybrid in it to stop it browning? surely your coastal climate cant offer it high enough temps on its own to survive.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
GoggleboxUK

Re: phoenix roebelenii

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've just ordered one of these so I had a read through this thread for info and have a couple of questions.

Red (I think?) said they were vicious spiky things that will turn you into a teabag but I read elsewhere that they are soft and feathery?

I'm going to overwinter indoors and, when it's warm enough, put it outside in the part of the garden that only gets sun in the morning but wanted to know if it would still suffer from scorching? Does it need total shade or would the few hours of early morning direct sun be OK?

I read elsewhere that the average growth is around 3" per year, does this meet with what members have experienced and how big do they get eventually?

Cheers in advance.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The leaves are mainly soft and feathery but have vicious spines close to the base of the leaves.

They don't mind full sun once hardened off. I planted mine in my exposed arid bed and did fine in the summer months.

They do like a drink though.
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

Gogglebox, as Kris said they have vicious spines at the leaf bases, I have a couple indoors.

One grows about 5" of trunk and the other 3", I keep them wet all year.

As for eventual height, the taller one has now hit the ceiling, it's trunk is just over 3 feet, and the overall plant is about 6 feet tall, I believe they can grow to about 10 feet, not sure if that is trunk length or overall height though.
Attachments
prob.JPG
prob-1.JPG
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

jc, those are beautys! How often do you feed and what do you use?

I'm really looking forward to getting mine on Friday. It's 1.5m at the moment and should look great both indoors and out.

icon_thumright
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

Goggle, I use miracle gro on them every two weeks, but have found that keeping them constantly wet has given the best growth results. Good luck with your new purchase. icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks jc, I'll do the same and hope I get as good results.

;)
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Lovely Palm, but im not risking it again after last winter