Spacing for Paulownia

Jo A P

Spacing for Paulownia

Post by Jo A P »

What sort of space should I leave around a small Paulownia? I want to cut it back every year for the leaves & it's hard to imagine how big they could get!
bobbyd44

Re: Spacing for Paulownia

Post by bobbyd44 »

want one of these myself but i should imagine that most of the growth we want is up so leaving enough room for a stump to develope not that much i should think.. :D
simon

Post by simon »

The leaves can be close about 80cm across, so including the stalks they can potentially have a very wide span, maybe in excess of 2m. The lowest leaves get the largest so it takes up the most space close to ground level. Mine shaded a lot of stuff out last year. In the end I removed some of the lower leaves to allow some light to surrounding plants.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My largest leaves were 80cm last year, but depending on how much you cut off will determine how low the new shoots are. Like Simon I remove the lower leaves. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bev »

hi jo, it will also depend on how many shoots you leave on as to how much spread you will get. i've left two on this year because i wanted a fuller looking plant, not sure how much that will affect the size of the leaves though.

cheers

lee
simon

Post by simon »

Not a great deal I shouldn't have thought, Lee. I left two shoots last year and got leaves in exess of 80cm. I kept just the one this year so it wouldn't take up so much room. We'll see if I can make a 1m leaf.
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Mine is only about 14 inches with 1 stem. I got it from Italian ebay for about 5 euro, they seem to have quite a few if anyone wants to try them.
As it's only one stem should I just plant & let it grow this year & start cutting it down next spring or whip the top off it after planting? Luckily we're having great weather at the moment - rain!

I tried a seed grown one a few years ago, but it got pruned by football & didn't recover!
I also bought an erythrina crista galli & they've sent me a lovely plant.
Hankers

Post by Hankers »

Hi Jo, I cut mine back each year and just allow one stem to grow. Here it is last August, I would say that the span across the bottom was more than two metres and it reached around four metres in height. Just plant yours out and then cut it back next spring. If you cut the top off now you will just be promoting new shoots from the base.

Steve

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Jo, it also depends on the age of the plant. As you said if you prune with a football :shock:too young, it has no stored energy to restart. :wink: ... I prefer secateurs personally :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel Fear »

I don't grow Paulownia, but having a 14 year old son, and 2 similarly aged boys next door I do sympathise with the unorthodox pruning method you have. :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nigel Fear wrote:I don't grow Paulownia, but having a 14 year old son, and 2 similarly aged boys next door I do sympathise with the unorthodox pruning method you have. :lol:
That's why I have a huge Agave americana :twisted: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

I would recommend allowing them to establish in the ground for a season before stooling, even if it is a good size plant.
bev

Post by bev »

how about a leaf size competition! :D

cheers

lee
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

What a fabulous pic Steve! It's hard to imagine just how much things are going to grow.
You have no idea how many new balls I've had to buy because of agaves & cacti!
Thanks for the advice one & all.
A leaf competition sounds a good idea, mine are about 14cm across at the moment so I guess I lose .... this year.
bev

Post by bev »

jo, we can measure at any time during the summer and post a pic of the largest leaves produced! :)

cheers

lee