Spotty Cycas Revoluta

cartel

Spotty Cycas Revoluta

Post by cartel »

I've just returned from a few days away in Madrid, hardly any tropicals to be seen except for a couple of CIDPs in a churchyard, all the public places are planted more like London than elsewhere in Spain.

When I got home to see how my plants had survived with 5 days of not being watered (pretty good as it happens) I found that my new Cycad has developed white spots on a lot of the leaves also some tips had the same effect.

I though this might be damage from strong sunlight after rain but apparently it hadn't rained here while I was away.

Has anyone any idea how this might have happened? I repotted it in a slightly bigger pot before I left.

Thanks
Terry
Attachments
cycad.jpg
Birmingham Chris

Re: Spotty Cycas Revoluta

Post by Birmingham Chris »

cartel - nothing to do with your cycas, but Madrid: OMG! it's my favourite place in the world. If I died and came back as a place, it would be there!

It's a massive shame that you weren't there for tomorrow; they have Europe's largest fleamarket every Sunday (it covers over 5 square km). Brummie Ben and I have a fetish for flea markets, and travel a long way for them, but Madrid is by far and away the best whether you want to spend £1 or £100,000. You must go back again!

with regards to the Cycas - no idea. sorry.
lisa

Post by lisa »

What day is that then, do you need an overnight stay, sorry dont travel much :?:
Adrian White

Post by Adrian White »

I'm afraid I too can not help with the question at hand. But Madrid is a stunning city, did you visit the botanical garden or Atocha railway station.

I see some other members have been before - http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... lit=atocha
grub

Post by grub »

Terry it could just be from it getting a bit dry :? , my 2 revolutas leaves went completely crispy and browned off over the winter inside because I suspect they were too dry :oops:(It did start with the leaves spotting) . Both are flushing now though after a good dosing of Chempak No 2 and the crunchy bits are in the bin :lol:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Hail damage perhaps?
cartel

Post by cartel »

Conifers wrote:Hail damage perhaps?
Probably not as our neighbours had told us that it didn't rain while we were away.

Also I'm not sure about the pot being too dry as I could understand the tips drying out and going crispy but these spots are mainly in the middle of the leaves. It's weird as it looks like they've been spattered with a chemical which has burnt the leaves but I haven't sprayed them with anything.

Could it be possible they've been sprayed by the neighbours cat who has taken an unhealthy desire to spend it's whole life in our garden!
Birmingham Chris wrote: It's a massive shame that you weren't there for tomorrow; they have Europe's largest fleamarket every Sunday (it covers over 5 square km). Brummie Ben and I have a fetish for flea markets, and travel a long way for them, but Madrid is by far and away the best whether you want to spend £1 or £100,000. You must go back again!
Chris, I didn't know about the flea market but I'll certainly check it out next time we're there visiting my wife's sister who's been there 21 years and never mentioned it!

Cheers
Terry
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

neighbours cat
Possible, but it would be an odd cat that was able to spray drops in that manner!
Europe's largest fleamarket
Why would anyone want to buy fleas? I get more than enough for my interests for free from the local cats :evil:
pete G

Post by pete G »

I've had similar spotting on my plant in the past.
Not worked out what causes it though.

Mine is now leafless almost, anyway due to the effects of last winter.
palmking

Post by palmking »

Judging by the dark glossy colouration , i'd guess those leaves are not accustomed to strong sunlight. Looks like it may be due to that, just UV exposure. Is it planted out or just potted. I'd acclimatise it over a couple of weeks, in part shade.

Mine is much paler than yours but has been outside now for nearly 5 years, planted on my dry bed and is starting to flush for the first time in 2 years.

Paul
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

Scale insects can cause spots, as they suck moisture from small areas, and they don't move much. I have a palm with very similar spots caused by scale. But there's no scale visible in the photo. My best guess is water damage/scorch. You could get this from dew drops even if it hasn't rained. Or some household chemical, bleach etc - from neighbours ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Don't talk to me about scale insects :roll: I have a severe infestation on my large Cycad, and they are proving to be difficult to erradicate. I have used Provado twice but they still remain. The ants farm them, seeming to transport them around the plant :roll: Perhaps I need to erradicate the ants first.

I resorted to scraping them off with thumbnails but as there are litterally 1000s this will take for ever. Yesterday evening I used a ruler and the palm of my hand to mass scrape them off. This is working but will still take a while. It is flushing now and as soon as the new fronds are a bit bigger I will remove all the existing fronds to get rid of the scale before the new fronds are affected :wink: I have checked the other Cycads and they are not affected, but this one has been outside for 5 years so I don't know why it has been singled out icon_scratch

Yellowed Cycad due to scale
080709 Cycad 01.jpg
The offending creatures
080709 Cycad 02.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright