Trex (Tetrapanax papyrifer) lawn

carolpz

Re: Trex lawn

Post by carolpz »

Very comprehensive and helpful advice Weve, thank you. I was coming around to the fact that I probably will have to kill the lot as the roots are extremely deep and digging down that far is a mammoth task. I do have two or three growing on so will try one with a good deep barrier when the time is right. I don't think I'm going to attempt extermination yet but perhaps later in the year or early next year before everything else is getting rampant. Thanks again for your help and I'm glad to know my problem was the reason you finally peeped from behind the trellis! :DD
weve

Post by weve »

Carol
If you are not worried about loosing the rex, before getting rid. why don't you just glysophate the pups and see what happens? nothing lost and you never know it might control the spread sufficiently to keep it in bounds (and you happy!) and a mature Rex is going to take some killing chemically so it could very well survive the treatment.

could be worth a shot & interesting to find out

cheers

weve
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

let them all grow and have a forest
Nick

Post by Nick »

So my thought mean nothing then :( just dismised and unread :(

icon_sunny
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Sorry Nick, didn't mean to ignore you. You also have some very useful suggestions but mowing the neighbour's suckers in his lawn isn't a good idea as I've a strong feeling that's what started mine off growing like weeds. The more I cut them the worse they seem to get.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Trex (Tetrapanax papyrifer) lawn

Post by Dave Brown »

Carol, what is the situation now :?: Are they under control, or did they win and your house is in the centre of the TRex plantation. :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

To dig that lot out would mean goodbye to the lawn sadly,I would not mind if I had a few suckers when I moved mine last year I got 1, I am glad about that,It
will grow to replace the one that rotted during winter so I am happy, it's second leaf is beginning to develop now, wish my biggest one would begin to make a move and speed up a bit :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

My 'crinkly' leafed one threw up 15 suckers last year,3 I potted on & kept growing,the other 7 I potted all died,but they were small,but they had come up in my tomato greenhouse,so they had to go.There is still one in there,but that came up during the summer(but it's off to DebSquirrel soon)& I have 5 in the garden that came up & have been left.I have another 'crinkly' leaf one that threw up it's first sucker last summer as well.

metalhammer.