Pygmy date palm ( Phoenix roebelenii )

ElTel

Pygmy date palm ( Phoenix roebelenii )

Post by ElTel »

Hi all, my first post here so please be kind. I have boughtt a Pygmy date palm from B&Q for £49.99 and its now planted out as the start of my new jungle border. The care label says it must be protected from severe frost. How is best to protect it? The missus suggested bubblewrap, but having looked online that might not be such a good idea? Any suggestions please/
Thanks
Terry
themes

Re: Pygmy date palm

Post by themes »

HI Terry, Welcome to hardy tropicals!!!

protect it by taking it indoors for winter. I think this palm has come 30 years to early. Its not the hardiest palm you could have got, but I can see why you got it. Its gorgeous. The question is do you want it to stay gorgeous.
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

hi Terry
sorry mate there butters to get through winter on my 2nd one even keeping them in the greenhouse at around 50 good luck
Regards Derek
Imran Khalid

Post by Imran Khalid »

Not hardy in the UK im afraid Terry. Keep it in a pot and bring in-doors for the winter. I have overwintered in fairly gloomy conditions without problems.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Terry, and welcome to the forum icon_salut

If B&Q were selling pensions they'd be suied out of existance for mis-selling :roll: Phoenix roebelinii is not hardy in the UK, apart from very sheltered places in Cornwall, and even they lost them last winter. As said they are not hardy, but having said that they are not far off it. :wink:

I have a 7 foota which spends as much time outside as it can to avoid growing soft leaves inside which burn in the sun. It stays out almost all the time from March to December, then is dragged under a covered bit. this has doors fitted over worst of winter but it still went down to -4C. Both the big one and a £8.98 one from two years ago were unscathed last winter. However they were not watered at all in Jan/Feb. :wink:

If you leave it out, you will be trying something we have discussed but not actually tried yet to my knowledge. It is safer in a tub so can be dragged to shelter/cover in bad winter weather. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by themes »

I tried this in the first year of getting palms before advice and forums. It survived till late february. then it recieved a cold spell -3 and died. It was only a small palm, but the winter that year was mild except for that week

I still may have the skeleton. I never threw it away
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Can only mirror what has been said I'm afraid, this palm is not hardy anywhere in the UK, apart from maybe the Scilly Isles where it may survive the odd frost, but wont grow much. There was one nearby here which survived for 3 years but succumbed this winter - the problem was, whilst they may survive the most mild parts, they will struggle to come back after getting damage, so you should definitely take in indoors in winter.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i got hacked off with the spikes and scrapes i got from mine dragging it into the garage on cold nights.it wasnt huge but twin trunked so quite a handful. sold it on to someone who knew better ,they left it out near a warm front porch all fleeced,one trunked come through its first winter unmarked,the other slight damage,last winter polished it off completely.if this freezpruf stuff is successful,it might just be enough to try this one again but i wont rush into it
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jezza

Post by jezza »

My £25 focus roebellini is staying in a largish pot and brought into the greenhouse over winter. As the greenhouse is against the rear of the house and a rear door with a cat flap any heat coming from the house should keep it warm enough.
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

they shouldnt let B&Q sell plants if they keep lying on the labels icon_thumbdown
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The label says 'protect from frost' so where has B+Q gone wrong then ?
If you protect roebeleniis from frost then they are hardy.
themes

Post by themes »

Maybe nobody fertilised them. The best fertiliser is palmbooster :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dont go there Mo :roll:

I keep roebeleniis from one year to another, just lift late autumn and pop in the greenhouse, replant following spring.
themes

Post by themes »

Heres me thinking you would have them in pots. I would have thought disturbing the roots would be detremental to the plant. But I guess it works for you. Thats the only frustrating thing having a plant thats so nearly hardy, it creates difficulties.
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

If it has to stay outdoors, you could try warming cables or fairy lights. Probably in conjunction with some sort of cover. I've not tried this myself but if you have a look around you can get more info on this. Hot spots can be a problem with these methods.

My P. roebelenii was badly hit by a late Spring frost at -2C, lost about half its fronds and spear pulled, I do not think it will recover. The remaining fronds are all going brown. One night of what I consider a fairly mild frost was enough to do the damage. Even Washingtonia robusta was hardier.