banana maximum feeding

eyefi

banana maximum feeding

Post by eyefi »

does anyone calculate and feed their nanas the maximum 1lb (0.453kg) of nitrogen a year?

eg. 27-0-0 ferilizer 0.453/0.27=1.6kg of fertilizer applied over the growing season (say 6 months). (1.6/185days)x7=60g of fertilizer/week.

that's an awful lot, more than i do now.

cheers.
trachy1973

Re: banana maximum feeding

Post by trachy1973 »

I do not measure the quantities, I like to try and keep things simple if I can. I either use miracle grow or as of late Phostrogen at least once a week. They seem to be flourishing so I must be doing something right :)

Keith
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Eyefi,

I don't do anything so structured :lol: My personal experience is it is possible to over feed banans with too strong a solution, and the result is burnt and distorted leaves. I feed with half strength soluble, or a couple of handfuls of chicken pellets which are about 3.5-3.5-3.5 but the feed is everytime you water which is what nanas like :wink: . The half strength is applied about once a week, and chicken pellets are re-applied about once a month. Bananas also like heavy mulching with rotted compost

In summary constant nutrients, but not strong feed. What it equates to over a year, I have no idea :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by eyefi »

i don't either but i've always wondered if i'm over or under feeding. that info comes from bananas.org which in turn comes from some universities.

as it turns out i feed about a quarter of that and i thought i probably overfed, so i found it very interesting.

bigger nanas here i come :)
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

My nana's get tomato fertilizer once a week with sea weed extract,from may to September.Rest of the days in between just normal watering.
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

mushtaq86 wrote:My nana's get tomato fertilizer once a week with sea weed extract,from may to September.Rest of the days in between just normal watering.
is that because you grow fruiters?
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Mine get Seaweed extract and Miracle grow supplemented with chicken poo pellets.
A mixture of the above maybe twice a week which is probably to much but they do seem to like it. They are watered daily.

You can definately overfeed some varieties and see leaf burn, others seem to lap it up and just pup like mad.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

eyefi wrote:
mushtaq86 wrote:My Nana's get tomato fertilizer once a week with sea weed extract,from may to September.Rest of the days in between just normal watering.

The only ones i could get fruit from is,super dwarf cav,dwarf orinoco and rajapuri.The rest have to get 16 to 25 feet before flowering,and that's just the p-stems with out leaves.So i will have to build a 30ft greenhouse if i want the rest to fruit. :roll: :roll: :roll:
simon

Post by simon »

mushtaq86 wrote:
eyefi wrote:
mushtaq86 wrote:My Nana's get tomato fertilizer once a week with sea weed extract,from may to September.Rest of the days in between just normal watering.

The only ones i could get fruit from is,super dwarf cav,dwarf orinoco and rajapuri.The rest have to get 16 to 25 feet before flowering,and that's just the p-stems with out leaves.So i will have to build a 30ft greenhouse if i want the rest to fruit. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I suspect the reason eyefi asked is because tomato feed is high in phosphorus to encourage flowers and fuit. If you just want lush foliage then you would be better off with a high nitrogen feed like lawn feed.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

simon wrote:
mushtaq86 wrote:
eyefi wrote: is that because you grow fruiters?

I suspect the reason eyefi asked is because tomato feed is high in phosphorus to encourage flowers and fuit. If you just want lush foliage then you would be better off with a high nitrogen feed like lawn feed.
Hi Simon
I find tomato fertilizer,with seaweed extract gets me better results,than any other fertilizer,even for foliage.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have found that Tomato food is higher in potasium, but generally low like 4-6-4, which mean you have to use quite a bit and it is expensive. :roll: My Ensete Maurelii last year went berswerk on Wilkos Wonder-Grow which is similar to Miracle-gro, and chicken pellets. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

my maurellis went potty on miracle grow last year. they are all dead now
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

but Darren, it wasn't the Miracle-gro that killed them was it :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by eyefi »

mushtaq86 wrote:My nana's get tomato fertilizer once a week with sea weed extract,from may to September.Rest of the days in between just normal watering.
eyup mushtaq86,
how much tom fertilizer do you use? are they in pots? do you have good growth?
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

what are the ratios on "miracle grow" that you guys are using? i have an old small teardrop style bottle that i think is 10-4-1 ish, it's hard to read it. in theory it's a good blend, with iron, magnesium and zinc from the seaweed. it's still going to hard to get the maximum nitrogen applied with that alone.