chamaedorea radicalis

trachy1973

chamaedorea radicalis

Post by trachy1973 »

Please could somebody advise if the infloresences of my chamaedorea radicalis are male or female?

I have two of this palm and both appear to be of the same sex so I guess I will not be getting any seeds from them unless I have one of the opposite sex to cross poliinate :?

Many Thanks

Keith
Attachments
DSCF3447.jpg
DSCF3450.jpg
themes

Re: chamaedorea radicalis

Post by themes »

I was going to start a thread too, Keith. Mine is flowering too but yours looks further along
IMAGE_808.jpg
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Hi Themes

Mine has thrown up a few spears now, I have cut off the older ones as they went to look a bit tatty.

I obtained my two the beginning of summer and they seem to be doing ok in the shade at the side of my garage.

How long have you had yours and how many do you have?

Keith :)
themes

Post by themes »

got two in December and they have been outside. I had no place to over winter them so It was tough love. I too cut away at the brown foliage and new spears are emerging on both of these. I have another nine that I do not want to risk until spring so they can establish. I just ordered three Microspadix from the palm House.

They are great for shade. What also appeals to me is that this is a filler plant. It will grow where most plants will not. It does not take up alot of space and uses the vertical. It will solve alot of planting problems I hope and the Flowering spathe looks really spectacular and tropical. red berries too. They flower at such a young age. I better stop before I start foaming at the mouth.
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Another nine? Hope you have space to plant them all out :lol:

I suppose you do need both a Male and Female to flower? Would you happen to know Themes what sex my palms are?

Thanks

Keith
themes

Post by themes »

Not sure to be honest Keith. I know that they are either male or female I know that sounds stupid :lol: but palm reproduction is rarely straightforward. I can never get them to stay still for long enough :wink:
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Yes I know what you meen. Some species are self fertilising like the Butia Capitata and other like the Trachycarpus family need both male and female. Just typical that I would have both the same sex as I was hoping for seed on mine.

There are four large Trachycarpus growing at a garden centre near me, they have been there for years and are about fifteen to twenty feet tall. All of them are in flower but would you believe that all of them are females :roll:

The spathes have emerged but the seeds have not developed and litter the ground around the palms. What are the chances of that then :lol:

Keith
themes

Post by themes »

trachy1973 wrote:Yes I know what you meen. Some species are self fertilising like the Butia Capitata and other like the Trachycarpus family need both male and female. Just typical that I would have both the same sex as I was hoping for seed on mine.

There are four large Trachycarpus growing at a garden centre near me, they have been there for years and are about fifteen to twenty feet tall. All of them are in flower but would you believe that all of them are females :roll:

The spathes have emerged but the seeds have not developed and litter the ground around the palms. What are the chances of that then :lol:

Keith
Its very worrying that Artificial Insemination have made men obsolete. It is largely pot luck, the probabilities dictate I should get some action :lol: I can then make it pay per view icon_thumleft
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Yes there is that possiblity that we could become surpless to requirements. At least we will still have our palms to take care of. And just think what the situation would be like at the CSA with nothing but a test tube for a father :lol:
themes

Post by themes »

we could always create a new splinter group "tropical fathers for justice"
Bob

Post by Bob »

I was hoping you'd get an answer Keith. My two plants have different spathes, in that one is a single spathe and been on the plant for a few months. The other has just produced a triple spathe. Is this not the difference?

Sorry for the dodgy shots. (It's dark yer at midday)

trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Hi Bob

I am not sure is the answer. Both of mine have produced spathes of three but they have also produced singular spathes as well which suggests this can vary. I have seen pictures of Dave's palms which bright orange seeds on but no sign of any developing seeds on my two plants.

Looking closely at the spathes yesterday the little lumps on the spathes had opened and what looked like yellow pollen was inside so could these be Males? I am not sure what a female spathe looks like?

Thanks for replying

Keith
Bob

Post by Bob »

Thanks Keith,
At least I now know it's not the spathe quantity. I'll keep a close eye on mine and report back any developments in this thread. icon_thumright