Bonsai/Topiary Cycas revoluta

darran

Bonsai/Topiary Cycas revoluta

Post by darran »

Whilst in Shanghai I saw many Cycas revoluta plants that had sharply recurved leaves....I really liked this look and gave the plant a very different look.

Typical example pic:

Now my question is.....is this just an ordinary C. revoluta and the new leaves have been wired to produce this strongly curved look are are they a sport, different variety, etc? (if the later is correct then I just happen to have one :wink: )

I have had a quick look on the internet and I couldnt find any pages on how to wire the new leaves as to make them recurved, but lots of information on growing them as bonsai specimens.

Any advice more than welcome.
bodster

Post by bodster »

are you sure its Cycas revoluta?
darran

Post by darran »

Martin,

I wouldnt be able to say for sure that its C. revoluta but it looks very similar apart from the recurved leaves :? .....The colour of the leaves are also a glossy dark green with not hints of blue or silver in them.
helen

Post by helen »

Not sure about the cycas, but I've done a similar thing to one of my apple trees. Naturally, it's a huge tree, but I trained the branches downwards sharply, just like in your cycas picture, to encourage a shape I wanted.

I did it by hanging small weights on the end of the branches until they 'fixed' themselves. Given the way cycas fronds can get misshapen easily when growing, maybe this would be easy to do? I may try it on one of my cycas to see what happens.
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
bodster

Post by bodster »

Perhaps I'm wrong but I cant imagine them shaping every leaf to get that effect - its much more likely to be either a different species or form I would have thought
helen

Post by helen »

It wouldn't be difficult ... just clip a small weight on the end of each frond as it emerged.
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
darran

Post by darran »

Helen,

I see where your coming from....having had a closer look at the one that I bought back it has small pieces of wire left on the tip each of the leaves...but none are attached to anything :?:

I think however when the new leaf emerged it may have been pulled and curled round so that the tip can attached to the base of the leaf using the wire to get the strong curve!

I think some more research is required