TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer) about to flower?, pups,growth

JungleJim

Re: TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer) about to flower?, pups,growt

Post by JungleJim »

My T-rex is well away this year. I made the mistake of moving it back in 2006. It sulked for a couple of years, but now it's growing like there's no tomorrow.

Also noticed mine is starting to sprout new shoots on the trunk. It's never done that before.
Attachments
T-Rex.JPG
Buds.JPG
simon

Post by simon »

grub wrote:9 pups though :lol:
I'm pulling that many up every other day. Surely it's going to get the message soon.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm doing the same now Simon. It seems this clone really goes for it :lol:

I'm conducting an experiment. I'm pulling the pups up, removing all but the central fist, and planting them as cuttings. So far they have continued to grow. I'll check soon to see if they have produced roots. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by weve »

Still no new pups from mine, despite being 'crinkly' - leaved (has only produced two in its three years history). Not that I mind that, you understand!

Nick, glad yours is on the up and up icon_cheers . Mine is producing increasingly (slightly) bigger leaves now, but still slowly and still under 12" across. Its developing at about the same rate as a little rex when newly planted. Just need to be patient. It seems healthy enough.

Putting the slowness down to the cold spring and the fact it has four large growing points to support and also the amount of flower stalks (3) it produced last season. Flowering and seed production really uses a lot of a plant's energy reserves. In future I will remove any flower stalks as they emerge, so that all the energy is retained for foliage. (It looks unlikely that any flowers can survive a winter and then go on to produce seed anyway)

cheers
debsquirrel

Post by debsquirrel »

here is an interesting one we have.2 small plants,on the left,steroidal giant from desert to jungle and on the right,a plant Damian gave us to try.both were identical in size and shape so we planted both in the same pots with the same mp compost and a sprinkling of chicken poo pellets on the top.Damians plant is pushing out bigger leaves faster than the so called steroidal giant !!!
Attachments
Image0447 (Large).jpg
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Everyones seems to be doing extremely well - except mine :( Had three main stems which last year housed huge leaves, but now this year after top growth died and cutting one of the stems down, the leaves can't be any bigger than the palm of my hand. I still think it might be putting all of its energy into pupping. I can't think of any other reason :? Looking at yours Dave B. mine seems to be behaving the same only yours looks a bit further along. My pups have bigger leaves than on the main plant.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

yes we had it bad weather station at barton airodrome was -18 got in my car several times for work at 6 in the morn at -16... on the car..
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

My Tetrapanax papyrifera 'Steroidal Giant' has done nothing until now. I have planted a young one next to it. Probably weedkiller has killed it!

Alexander
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

If it has Alexander, fear not, I bet you'll find loads of new plants coming up soon. Thats what I was saying about my plant - until this year.

Well, I laughed, next door are new owners and are 'doing' their house up and only visit weekdays, so I took the opportunity to pop over and see if anything was growing over their side from my garden. Some bamboo canes had made their way across but was amazed to see a forest of T. Rex about a foot high all over the grass, I couldn't believe my eyes, and came back home in stitches. :lol: I've only found four over my side - as yet. :roll:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Stevie Z

Post by Stevie Z »

All you lucky people I got a small one from Carol last year that I kept in the conservatory, but it rotted. With all these pups you have, could anyone spare one or two I would pay for it and the postage. No chance of finding any up here in Glasgow.

StevieZ
weve

Post by weve »

Steve, If i had any pups I'd be pleased to give you one but as mine doesn't (yet) seem to pup much I haven't any to give alas!

It seems, the distribution of T rexes between members here is acting like a form of natural selection, giving the profuse puppers a huge selective advantage as they often get distributed amoungst the membership whereas the 'non-prolific puppers' (like mine) don't so much. Evolution on our doorstep!

BTW Nick, 2 of the (newest) branches on mine have started to produce bigger leaves now (at last :roll:) the other 2 older branches are still sorting themselves out but look to be improving (I think they may be branching again :roll: hence the lack of decent sized leaves)

This year, for some reason tho', i seem to have the deepest green leaves I ever had on my rex ever icon_scratch
Nick

Post by Nick »

Weve I wonder it it was branching that your leafs stayed so small for so long, mine is putting out nice big leafs now and I've pulled/broken off about 9 pups from my one out front in my raised bed, it's roots have traveled the whole length of the bed in little over a 2 year period, which in my book is fast,

icon_sunny icon_sunny
derrick

Post by derrick »

Hello nick hows things down in Amesbury .Mine is not doing a lot are have to look for another wheres the best place to order please.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Derrick what a surprise to hear yours is still not doing very much this late into the year, EBay have them as do nearly any exotic plant sales, I hope this helps
:?: how have you been :?: I've not heard from you for what seems ages, I hope your well :?: I am back to work on the 21st June, dad is not much better he seems really weak in his legs now for some reason :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
derrick

Post by derrick »

Thanks again Nick you take it easy i hope your dads ok .Are have to dig down check out the roots on it .