Late Season Photos

AndrewBird

Re: Late Season Photos

Post by AndrewBird »

get 2 icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Dave Brown wrote:You Dark Horse Di, you said your garden was not much this year.... so what is it like normally then Great garden and pics.

If I take any more of my lawn up the gazebo won't fit and then from the wife
Thanks Dave. I have had a lot of things that have done rubbish here. I'd love to be able to grow the aroids but they just don't grow for me. I had a lovely Alocasia maccrohriza (sp?) one year, big leaves and looked fabulous. Put it in my garden and the leaves just got smaller and smaller. My King Siam looks terrible, hardly any growth, fed and watered it, but just hasn't grown much and the colour is terrible. My murellii (sp?) is only just starting to put some decent growth on this last few weeks. Hedychiums and Cannas are not doing much flower wise and I put some Datura in the ground (I know I was late putting them in) which always flower for me every year, but I've got no buds at all yet. The one plant I'm really pleased with is a one stem Paulownia which was a really late starter for me after losing new growth earlier in the season, and that one has grown probably 9/10 ft. now.
DSCN1403.JPG
As you can see, they look terrible for a full season's growth.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Top stuff! Wish mine was like that now. Oh well, i can wait seven years.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks Jezza you'll be amazed at how quickly it develops. I never really noticed the growth from one year to the next, not until I looked back at the previous years photos. One of the things I wished I had done was
to take photos when I first started of the whole garden. All I've got is a couple of the lower end, but none of the top end.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

Fantastic looking garden Di....loveley to see :DD
Dale

Post by Dale »

Great looking Garden Di - That's what us beginners are aspiring to - What's the glorious blue palm in the 3rd photo? - A blue palm such as a Brahea armata is at the very top of my ever increasing shopping list for the spring (I've already warned the missus - she keeps telling her mates down the school "he won't stop buying bl00dy plants!" )
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

That is Brahea armata Dale :)
Dale

Post by Dale »

I rest my case then, she can say what she likes about me down the school, I'm getting one ! - Di your garden could be responsible for a divorce, what better compliment ! :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Wow how many cordy's are there here?

the pic makes it look like there an entire hedgerow of them!
Last edited by Dave Brown on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Picture removed as was so large it broke the page
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks guys.
Dale wrote:I rest my case then, she can say what she likes about me down the school, I'm getting one ! - Di your garden could be responsible for a divorce, what better compliment ! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dale, yes it is Brahea armata. It got badly damaged this last Winter, though you can't see it in the photo. I lost a couple of frosted leaves and I've only just got my first perfect spear growing, I protected it with a raincover and fleeced the crown on a couple of occasions. Hopefully this next Winter won't be so severe and it will come through Winter better.

Cordy, that was originally one Cordyline but the first Winter after planting it got damaged but didn't die and it send up another four shoots from ground level. I let them all grow on and ended up with five Cordy's growing at slightly different angles. There's another clump in that bed with three Cordy's together, but couldn't get them them in the photo.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

DiCasS wrote:Thanks guys.
Dale wrote:I rest my case then, she can say what she likes about me down the school, I'm getting one ! - Di your garden could be responsible for a divorce, what better compliment ! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dale, yes it is Brahea armata. It got badly damaged this last Winter, though you can't see it in the photo. I lost a couple of frosted leaves and I've only just got my first perfect spear growing, I protected it with a raincover and fleeced the crown on a couple of occasions. Hopefully this next Winter won't be so severe and it will come through Winter better.

Cordy, that was originally one Cordyline but the first Winter after planting it got damaged but didn't die and it send up another four shoots from ground level. I let them all grow on and ended up with five Cordy's growing at slightly different angles. There's another clump in that bed with three Cordy's together, but couldn't get them them in the photo.

Di
If that technique could only replicated! looks fantastic :)
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Fantastic garden, I love the blue palm. Why do you think you had trouble with some of your plants? Not enough sun? Do your cordyline flower? Must be a great sight.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Di - Obviously from first hand experience your saying the Brahea Armata is not as hardy as some of these these mail order company's would have you believe, although they state they don't like having they're feet kept wet for too long, they all seem to suggest they don't mind the cold too much. When you say you protect with a rain cover, do you mean one of these plastic zip up cheap substitute greenhouse type things they sell almost anywhere? From reading up on this site it looks like it's important for the air to flow around the palms, so I guess that is why you throw it over only temporarily when they're is a particularly cold snap.
jason5

Post by jason5 »

your garden looks very very nice,,,,done a brill job on it,,,,,,fingers crossed mine looks some think like yours in a few years lol.

anyway well done icon_thumleft
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

A lovely Garden Di, with a good mix of plants.. just how i like it icon_thumright Its interesting that you dont have success with Aroids as nor do I. How long have had the Schefflera Macrophylla? Watch out for snow in Winter as the petioles will break. I put a cover over mine (wooden frame with Corolux roof) I suspect that not being in a heat island (centre of town) you are losing a precious few degrees of heat that will bring on the flowering on the Cannas. Again ditto ... mine are not flowering, but I do leave mine in the ground.