Its only December but what have you lost so far.....

Gaz

Its only December but what have you lost so far.....

Post by Gaz »

Not a cheerful post i know, but..

We have lost a Musa Rubra and one of the small Musa velutina plugs from MarkH in the greenhouse.

Hopefully not speaking too soon but the stuff planted out all still seems ok (hopefully everything hibernating in teh ground will pop back up).
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I'm not ceratin I've lost anything yet apart from the Musa laterita. If the daytime temperatures stay where they are for the next couple of months then I think that a lot more will bite the dust.
Predicted for the next week is nothing above 4C.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

yeah the day time temps are a real problem at the moment. I was clearing leaves today, and boy was it cold!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Early indications showing imminent death are Musa cav super dwarf,and dwarf cav. And they are in the heated poly :roll:

In the garden the Red Murkhis have wilted so has martins pepino ( that I forgot to pot up )

Not sure about all the ensetes and musa......time will tell
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

This winter is going to be a good test for the C.gaoligongensis. I've covered mine with bark chips and large sheet of glass. I'll be really chuffed if they survive.
bodster

Post by bodster »

i'll give you another cutting Mark :)
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

That's weird Mark - my dwarf cavendish looks like it's on its way out as well! I'll have a poke around next weekend.....Take care

Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Martin.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Most of my bananas are still looking good,even the dwarf cav looks fine for now :D
The only casaulty is the musa bluggoe that Helen gave me :(
Mark

Post by Mark »

oh yeah mines dead too
Don

Post by Don »

Mine croaked a week after it came up North :cry:
With the exception of Ensete glaucum everything seems to be hanging on in the greenhouse at about 6C. As someone pointed out winter has not officially started yet :!: :shock:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The Ensete that you gave me is still doing okay Don.
I think that was a glaucum wasn't it?or superbum?
Can't remember now :oops:
helen

Post by helen »

So who managed to keep a Musa Bluggoe alive then? Last time I give you guys plants if you're going to kill them! :wink:

No casualties for me yet (I think), apart from Don's musa itinerans shortly after I got it, so it doesn't really count as a winter casualty.
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
Chad

Post by Chad »

No air frost here yet, but Solanum quitoense took a radiation frost personally! It was brown the next morning, and has now melted away to a soggy stump.

Chad.
palmking

Post by palmking »

All seems to be fine at present - Wilted leaves on my Lasiocarpa - the Pseudo stems are uncovered and still fine - My Basjoo is in the shed and still fine.Leaves/stem untouched.

I have a Dracaena(Dragon tree) outside - still fine(been outside since early March 07.

Everything else is ok too, including my Oleander'Marie Rose'.

Still a combination of breeze and cloud has helped peg the temps. Minimum last night -1.8 but above freezing before Dawn.