Anybody dug up their Ensete Maurelii yet?

Axel

Re: Anybody dug up their Ensete Maurelli yet?

Post by Axel »

Dave Brown wrote:All mine are still outside.

I've been doing some research into the Ensete venricosum tribe, and and found some very interesting stuff. I'm going to write an article on the growing conditions they get in the indigenous areas, and you would be quite surprised. Unfortunately I'm having to do training courses at the moment, as well as getting all my normal days work done, so just not had time to write it so far :roll:

I'll say a brief bit about what I have found here.

Ensete ventricosum, The Abyssinian Banana comes from the highlands of Ethiopia. around 7 degrees north of the equator, so is a tropical plant. The wild green form grown from seed is the least hardy of the Ensete Ventricosum tribe, growing to an Altitude of 1600m This equates to temps between 10 and 30C..... seems to make a mockery of our temperatures for sprouting the seed :lol:

The Ethiopians use the corm as food, so over the centuries have bred more cold tolerant cultivars that grow higher up into the mountains. Unfortunately all the culivars we have are named after the European discoverers, rather than the Abyssinian cultivar name.... Shame really otherwise we would know exactly how hardy they are. Some cultivars have been bred to grow up to 3000m which is nearly double the altitude of the wild green one.

We all know that the Standard (wild, seed grown) ventricosum is less hardy than Maurlii, Mondbeliardi, Hiniba, Tandarra Red etc, this is probably due to them being the bred culivars for growing up in the high mountains. My small Montbeliardi survived -4C under cover kept bone dry still in its pot last winter.

Addis Ababa is at 2,400 m and the Esnete grow up to and beyond that height.
Here is the climate for Addis. Note the warmest average night temps are 10C with the coldest average nights 5C Record lowest 0C Also note the deluge summer and drier winter with low humidity. Seems they can survive warm days with 9 hours tropical sun with temps dropping down to around 5C while being almost completely dry. This is the tip for overwintering here. So if stored in a garage or shed dry, temps of 15 or 20C will not cause them to croak.
Addis Ababa Climate.jpg
Looking at that climate it is not surprising they do very well in our summer. but we have a major advantage over the Ethiopians, we have as much feed as it needs, where as they struggle. The time from a pup to harvest, just before flowering is 7 to 15 years depending on altitude..... can you imagine growing a crop for 15 years before you can eat it :shock:

Dave,

Another area worth looking into is Uruapan in Mexico. It's tropics at high elevation meaning our summerclimate yearround. Just google National Parc Uruapan and you will see some 30 feet Ensete Ventricosums. It's the combination of +20C during day and around 15C at night in combi with rain and bright daylight that makes them grow so well here. Better than in warmer area's such as Spain or Florida for example.
sanatic1234

Re: Anybody dug up their Ensete Maurelii yet?

Post by sanatic1234 »

I shall take down my bubble wrap then mick and like you say go by the house heat. I will admit it does stay warm under my stairs. I think it me being over paranoid I would say. :roll: :lol: did you water yours at all through the winter like once a month or anything or did you just leave it dry?
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Done this for about 3 - 4 years now san, giving less water each year - I haven't had the nerve to leave one completely dry. I think that in this location they will tolerate an occasional watering, just a little at a time, last year maybe twice in three or four months.

I intend to risk leaving them out quote late again this year before digging them up. Watch out for greenfly btw, and good luck :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I store my Ensete like this in the side of my house. Completely dry (watering always leads to rot in my experience). The bigger banana in the photo is an absolute monster now with 6 foot tall leaves that are about three foot wide.
Attachments
DSC_0075JPEG of XMAS 2009 web.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mick. I was thinking of leaving mine out till early october time, then bringing it inside. Thanks for the info on the green fly :evil: I have had plenty of these this summer, i will probably now water mine every 2 months instead of 1 month. to help reduce the risk of rot.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

yorkshire kris. yours looks very happy sat in there, and a good size too. i think my temps get to about 10c under my stairs.
chris f

Post by chris f »

Kris, forgive me if this question seems a bit daft but where you store your ensetes at the side of your house is it in the house, outside the house or in some sort of outbuilding (can't tell from the picture). It's my first year trying to overwinter an Ensete and what your doing obviously works, that big ones a beaut, thanks chris.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Hi Chris F,

It's a bit confusing to explain without a photo which i'll sort out later. Basically it's inside my house, under the stairs but its accessed from outside via a cupboard door!
Axel

Re: Anybody dug up their Ensete Maurelli yet?

Post by Axel »

Axel wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:All mine are still outside.

I've been doing some research into the Ensete venricosum tribe, and and found some very interesting stuff. I'm going to write an article on the growing conditions they get in the indigenous areas, and you would be quite surprised. Unfortunately I'm having to do training courses at the moment, as well as getting all my normal days work done, so just not had time to write it so far :roll:

I'll say a brief bit about what I have found here.

Ensete ventricosum, The Abyssinian Banana comes from the highlands of Ethiopia. around 7 degrees north of the equator, so is a tropical plant. The wild green form grown from seed is the least hardy of the Ensete Ventricosum tribe, growing to an Altitude of 1600m This equates to temps between 10 and 30C..... seems to make a mockery of our temperatures for sprouting the seed :lol:

The Ethiopians use the corm as food, so over the centuries have bred more cold tolerant cultivars that grow higher up into the mountains. Unfortunately all the culivars we have are named after the European discoverers, rather than the Abyssinian cultivar name.... Shame really otherwise we would know exactly how hardy they are. Some cultivars have been bred to grow up to 3000m which is nearly double the altitude of the wild green one.

We all know that the Standard (wild, seed grown) ventricosum is less hardy than Maurlii, Mondbeliardi, Hiniba, Tandarra Red etc, this is probably due to them being the bred culivars for growing up in the high mountains. My small Montbeliardi survived -4C under cover kept bone dry still in its pot last winter.

Addis Ababa is at 2,400 m and the Esnete grow up to and beyond that height.
Here is the climate for Addis. Note the warmest average night temps are 10C with the coldest average nights 5C Record lowest 0C Also note the deluge summer and drier winter with low humidity. Seems they can survive warm days with 9 hours tropical sun with temps dropping down to around 5C while being almost completely dry. This is the tip for overwintering here. So if stored in a garage or shed dry, temps of 15 or 20C will not cause them to croak.
The attachment Addis Ababa Climate.jpg is no longer available
Looking at that climate it is not surprising they do very well in our summer. but we have a major advantage over the Ethiopians, we have as much feed as it needs, where as they struggle. The time from a pup to harvest, just before flowering is 7 to 15 years depending on altitude..... can you imagine growing a crop for 15 years before you can eat it :shock:

Dave,

Another area worth looking into is Uruapan in Mexico. It's tropics at high elevation meaning our summerclimate yearround. Just google National Parc Uruapan and you will see some 30 feet Ensete Ventricosums. It's the combination of +20C during day and around 15C at night in combi with rain and bright daylight that makes them grow so well here. Better than in warmer area's such as Spain or Florida for example.
Still looking forward to the article Dave.
Attachments
enset.jpg
enset.jpg (225.45 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It will be the winter before I get the time to write it Axel, but meanwhile the others can either continue to try to invent the wheel, or may want to read THIS in the Bananas reference forum :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

This is where I store my ensetes in winter from late october until April. Temp probably 5-15 degrees in this period.
Attachments
DSC_0176 web.jpg
chris f

Post by chris f »

Kris, thanks mate for the reply and the picture, was really helpful as I have a brick outhouse attached to the side of the house that looks kind of similar to what you've got there, it's not heated but its certainly frost free. Am going to take your advice about dry storing the ensete as it obviously works, thanks again, chris.
boybeck

Post by boybeck »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I store my Ensete like this in the side of my house. Completely dry (watering always leads to rot in my experience). The bigger banana in the photo is an absolute monster now with 6 foot tall leaves that are about three foot wide.
Hi Kris

Thanks for the advice.

What soil do you use? Does it have to be dry when you plant the Ensetes?

Jason
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Hi Jason,

Check out Dave's link above. It pretty much a similar routine to what I do. Although I don't have the luxury of a dehumidifier to dry out the plants and a conservatory to get them going again in spring! :happy:

When stored dry just use dry compost, nothing special because the plants wont be growing much in it till spring.
tenchy

Post by tenchy »

Andrew Smith wrote:Just wondering if anybody has decided to move their Ensete Maurelli into the warm indoors yet?

The temp in my back garden went down to about 1.8C last night. The predicted overnight lows for the rest of this week are: 7C for Tuesday, then 3C for wednesday and Thursday, then back up to 6C on Friday and 5C for Saturday and Sunday.

Am I worrying too soon, or would it be best to move it indoors? I have no greenhouse. :?

mines still outside, i assumed it would be ok for a while longer yet lol!

i havent grown this before but bought one after seeing how much everyone on here had recomended it

its a dangerous site for y9our wallet lol

its grown quite big already

how big a pot does it need and where should it go for winter. i have to pseruade the missus on putting it in the hall i think lol