Washingtonia palm

ElTel

Washingtonia palm

Post by ElTel »

the missus came home with a washington palm her sister gave her. they had it on the patio.

can i plant it now or should i leave it in its pot?
grub

Re: washington palm

Post by grub »

Leave it in it's pot, I doubt if it'll be hardy for you :(
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

tuck it up next to the house tel,if its pretty exposed,it might be an idea to wrap the pot aswell although i havent in the past and got away with it. im guessing if the wife carried it in,its not that big??
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

redsquirrel wrote:tuck it up next to the house tel,if its pretty exposed,it might be an idea to wrap the pot aswell although i havent in the past and got away with it. im guessing if the wife carried it in,its not that big??
nope not very bug at all, they had it in a plastic pot on the patio. didnt entirely understand the explanation of why they are getting rid of it, but im not going to argue
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

I would leave it in the pot for now but when it becomes spring plant it out by the way is it a .F. or a .W. and have u got a picture of it? icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

David, based on what experience are you giving this advice?

As it is only a small one, I would tuck it against the house for several winters to come until it is big enough to risk in a more exposed position. Then once planted out I would give it some overhead protection until it is so big it becomes no longer practical to do so.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Washingtonia palm

Post by Dave Brown »

We have had so many discussions on this palm's hardiness simply because generally it is not hardy in the UK. It is marginal at best, and while large ones can be got through winter in milder areas, the small ones people buy and plant out, stand about a 10% chance of making it through an averge winter. Put another way 9 years out of 10 you will lose it. Do a search of Washingtonia, but by Topics =29, not by posts as there are 1000s

See HERE for hardiness limits we think are realistic. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have added a forum search link on the Washingtonia robusta webpage. If you cannot do the searches manually that will give you a link to all topics with Washingtonia in the title. :wink: Link to page HERE
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ElTel »

thanks everyone, pot it is, its now up against the wall in the corner. i could put it into the shed or would it be better outside?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It would be better outside, but put in the shed when frost is forecast :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ElTel »

thanks dave.

i have a roll of bubble wrap would that be ok to wrap the pot up in. its just a bog standard pot, notihng fancy.