Phoenix Rupicola

Adrian Brattle

Phoenix Rupicola

Post by Adrian Brattle »

This palm to me is the most attractive phoenix palm. But is it right to say that this palm is to tender to be grown outside in Britain even with winter protection? It
has a cold hardiness of -3
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Phoenix Rupicola

Post by Dave Brown »

I had one quite a few years ago, and the reports at the time was this was potentially hardy. It spear pulled at -2C but recovered and two years later croaked in -4C. That is just my experience. Msaybe others have got it through :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

No doubt a fabulous palm, but somewhat tender as Dave has experienced. Regularly hardy in zone 10 or warmer but apparently able to manage in the sheltered locations in zone 9b. I suspect summer heat is also a pre-requisite to successful growth.

Cheers, Barrie.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Also, thinking about it now, with maybe 10 years more experience, as it grows on the side of cliffs (Cliff Date) it may require perfect drainage to aid it's cold hardiness. I think another problem now is actually getting hold of a P. rupicola. As Phoenix palms hybridise so easily, only isolated palms can reliably be used for seed collection. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i think adrian is possibly the best person to ask about these as hybrids.he has done all sorts of rupicola crosses.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Rupicola is no way a -3 palm, not in this country anyway.
They are very slow growing as well so any damage will take forever to replace.
A definate conservatory palm but not one for the garden Im affraid.

Yes I have a few different Phoenix hybrids going on and so do quite a few others as Ive been off loading them at all the meets this year.
Adrian Brattle

Post by Adrian Brattle »

It seems that Phoenix Rupicola is by its nature a humid subtropical climate type palm. That means its adapted to winter chill below 10 to 12 degree C. But can be injured by mild frost. Not a Mediterranean palm as it can not take summer drought.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

If its adapted to 10c to 12c then thats a summers night temperature :? , to grow one outside here you need it to adapt to at least -6c which it isnt going to.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian Brattle wrote:It seems that Phoenix Rupicola is by its nature a humid subtropical climate type palm. That means its adapted to winter chill below 10 to 12 degree C. But can be injured by mild frost. Not a Mediterranean palm as it can not take summer drought.
You are not using the lattitude methodology on this are you :?: because these grow in mountainous areas. 300 to 1200m asl. My palm did not have problems above freezing, but liked warmth in summer. If I was to grow this again I would treat as P roebelenii :wink: It is not outside hardy here :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian Brattle »

Adrian wrote:If its adapted to 10c to 12c then thats a summers night temperature :? , to grow one outside here you need it to adapt to at least -6c which it isnt going to.
I meant it is adapted to 1C to 12C. As it is below 10C-12C.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Adrian Brattle wrote:This palm to me is the most attractive phoenix palm. But is it right to say that this palm is to tender to be grown outside in Britain even with winter protection? It
Im getting confused now with 10-12c meaning 1-12c but your first post on this thread was correct, it is the most attractive Phoenix and it is too tender to be grown outside.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i would like a good dactylifera
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adrian Brattle

Post by Adrian Brattle »

Adrian wrote:
Adrian Brattle wrote:This palm to me is the most attractive phoenix palm. But is it right to say that this palm is to tender to be grown outside in Britain even with winter protection? It
Im getting confused now with 10-12c meaning 1-12c but your first post on this thread was correct, it is the most attractive Phoenix and it is too tender to be grown outside.
i Meant that it is a humid subtropical palm. Saying it looks like it can take winter dormancy in cool-winter temps below 12c . Can be damaged by little freeze.