UK's warmest microclimates

Vic

Re: UK's warmest mircoclimates

Post by Vic »

Nigel Fear wrote:
Chalk Brow wrote:The official local weather stats show the lowest temperature so far this winter as -3.4, although I have recorded -4.9 in the garden. But I am nearly one mile from the coastline and I think the official figures are recorded on the seafront or the harbour.

The lowest temperature in the last tens years of so is around -6, and there have been few if any days (except yesterday) when the daytime temperature stayed below zero. Last winter was much milder here than the West Country.

The moderating effect of the sea, which keeps the winter temperatures up also keep the summer temperatures down, in a heat wave it is rarely as hot as inland.

Eastbourne is sheltered from the west by the Downs and Beachy Head which protect the town from the prevailing westerlies, and divert some cloud cover giving more sunshine here than surrounding areas (the weather experts say the Downs are not high enough to do this, but the evidence speaks otherwise).

If the cold comes from the east, then it is a different story!

I would not claim Eastbourne has the most favourable micro-climate, one has only to compare the growth of plants in places such as Bournemouth where comparing like for like growth is generally far more luxuriant. (although I suspect the soils conditions are far superior there, most of Eastbourne is either poor soil over chalk, or little soil over what was once beach).

There are no doubt more favourable areas, but taking into account all factors Eastbourne does not fare too badly. A walk along the prom will prove that with some of the tender plants that thrive there.

Dover's got to be pretty hard to beat weatherwise too, nearly always seems to have less sub-zero nights for the southeast of the country.

Yes Nigel you are right Dover rarely lets seriously below freezing, but it blows a gale for much of the time in winter so your plants would look as if they had seen -10c when in fact its more like -1c. I believe their record low is -8c back in 1963.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Hi Vic,I guess I;d sooner put up with slightly colder and a little less wind then given the choice.
But given a sheltered situation, there must be a lot of potential.
Any exotic gardeners from here living there?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Well the micro-climate of Portsmouth is pretty good too. The lowest I have recorded so far in this cold snap is -2.5C (& that's the coldest I have recorded since moving here in 2001). The temperature hasn't gone lower than -5C in Southsea since 1995 (& hopefully it wont for the rest of this winter!). The record low is -8.6C (cant remember what winter this occured) & the snow we have had here this week (5-6 inches) is the most snow to have fallen in Portsmouth since 1982! :shock:

There are a few reasons why it is as mild as it is here:

Portsmouth is situated on an Island (Portsea Island) & is the UK's only Island city

It is the second most densely populated city in the UK (after London) so benefits from the "Urban Heat Effect" much like central London does

The city is sheltered to the north by Portsdown Hill, which towers over the city & around 10 miles north of Portsmouth is Butser Hill, the highest point of the South Downs

Also being on the south coast we are situated in the sunniest part of the UK & being in central southern England the summer temps are warmer than the south west too... icon_salut
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

After this cold spell I certainly am losing faith in any microclimates that exists here. -7C just isn't the hallmarks of a Microclimate really.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

stephenprudence wrote:... -7C just isn't the hallmarks of a Microclimate really.
I bet someone living in Novosibirsk would be absolutely delighted to have a microclimate with that minimum :lol:
stephenprudence

:lol: I'm sure they'd be thrilled, but they're not growing palms and tropical plants which they know clearly wont suvive in their clmate :lol:

Actually on a more positive note, the upside of the cold spell is seeing the amount and variation of birds in the garden! Some real fatties recently!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

stephenprudence wrote::lol: I'm sure they'd be thrilled, but they're not growing palms and tropical plants which they know clearly wont suvive in their clmate :lol:

Actually on a more positive note, the upside of the cold spell is seeing the amount and variation of birds in the garden! Some real fatties recently!
Yep down here we have been seeing Fieldfares & Redwings, not seen down here for about 25 years!
stephenprudence

That's great that you've seen fieldfares and redwings, I havent spotted them yet! Weve seen a realy bulked up Mistle Thrush this morning and we generally don't get them usually (we used to though), you have to wonder where they went if they've popped up now.

One of the Robins I saw had a really vivid red breast. Others the usual ones, Blue tots, great tots etc, even Marsh tots which dont usually grace these parts, and the usual Wagtails.
Doug-Tews

Post by Doug-Tews »

stephenprudence wrote:After this cold spell I certainly am losing faith in any microclimates that exists here. -7C just isn't the hallmarks of a Microclimate really.
I think the general definition of a microclimate is a spot that is usually warmer and more protected than what is typical for the area...but that doesn't mean it will escape all adversity, especially under the very worst of conditions.

During this siege, we've been consistently warmer here in the undercliff than say, Adrian has been in the outskirts of Southampton. However, for more tender plants, it probably won't make much difference this time. For all practical purposes, we've been below zero now for three days and I suspect there will be many loses in the Ventnor Botanical Gardens. Locals have said they've never seen anything like it in decades...possibly going all the way back to 1963.

I'll be surprised if my Parajubaea survives this. I'm also very worried about my Moultrie Butyagrus. I'm also fearing for the life of my lovely Canary Island date palm. :roll: Alas, only time will tell...
Vic

Post by Vic »

It will be a shame if you loose you Phoenix canariensis_CIDP especially after the effore you went to after it was 'blown over'. Have you given it any protection?
stephenprudence

Well thats true Doug although here 4 days in a row of below 0C is not a good sign, I do sympathise with your potential losses. My Yucca has quickly develop dark green patches on its leaves, a sign I belive of Necrosis in plants. It will die.

I suppose your right though, you cant call for adverse weather conditions - still doesnt fill you with much confidence but summer well be here soon and we'll all be happy well for the latter part.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Stephen, as Doug said a microclimate does not work in all conditions. I have a good summer microclimate where topography and position in the UK work together to give some of the best summer weather. In normal winter weather I'm slightly milder than most of eastern England due to topography, But when that Noreaster blows, IT BLOWS. Having said that parts of Western England suffer badly in Noreasters as the wind is off the land. When the Noreasters hit here although bitterly cold, it can be slighty less bitterly cold than further west... if that makes sense :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Doug-Tews »

Vic wrote:It will be a shame if you loose you Phoenix canariensis_CIDP especially after the effore you went to after it was 'blown over'. Have you given it any protection?
Alas, no. Here at this location, one would have never guessed it would be necessary. I'm not certain what I could have done other than wrap the trunk. I would have never even considered tying up all the fronds as I've seen others do on the mainland. Historically, it just hasn't been necessary here. I'm afraid it's now just a waiting game...
Attachments
Snow1.jpg
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Redwing (pic yesterday) and Fieldfare (pic today, note thaw!), in Cotoneaster frigidus.
Redwing1.jpg
Fieldfare.jpg
That's great that you've seen fieldfares and redwings, I havent spotted them yet! Weve seen a realy bulked up Mistle Thrush this morning
The Mistle Thrush will be chasing off any Redwings or Fieldfares to stop them sharing it's food supply - they're very possessive birds!
Doug-Tews

Post by Doug-Tews »

Lovely bird pictures! icon_thumleft I've seen them here too. What camera/lens combination did you use to capture this?