Bamboos: Clumpers or Runners

weve

Bamboos: Clumpers or Runners

Post by weve »

Hi There was a mention about this in the Dicksonia antarctica thread http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... rt=30about
so I'd thought I'd answer by starting a new relevent topic here. (The bamboo experts here will know all this 'bread & butter' stuff, of course, (apologies to them) but as it still seems to cause confusion because of other websites' descriptions being less than accurate thought It would be worth posting).

Phyllostachys nigra being described as a "clumper" or "non-invasive" is not really correct (although like davidJonesUK, I too have found it says this on many websites, perhaps this is just because it isn't the most rampant of runners, - well when young anyway!). But it is a phyllostachys and therefore capable of running (and eventually it will do so!). Whether a bamboo is Clumping or running is dependant on the morphology of the rhizome of which there are two distinct types, pachymorph (clumper) or leptomorph (runner). (Mentioned elsewhere on the board, Most recently in the "Bamboo fans" thread too) These differ from each other in that pachymorph rhizomes are extremely short, do not branch away from the main plant and more importantly, a bud can only form at the end of the rhizome, whereas leptmorph rhizomes are longer, thinner and branch, and buds can form at any node along its length, these buds either form a shoot or another rhizome i.e a new branch. Whilst leptomorphic bamboos vary in vigour and quickness to spread, they will all do so to some extent eventually (because this is their biological nature and have evolved to do so). I have seen pictures of a (ten year old) black bamboo sending a very long branching runner (20ft in one season and shooting all along its length. Typically they seem to behave themselves for quite a number of years before suddenly having a season of running vigourously). Bamboos with Leptomorphic rhizomes include Arundinaria, Phyllostachys, Pleioblastus and Pseudosasa. Technically all of these must be described as runners and are therefore potentially invasive.

Pachymorphic clumpers do not have the biological means to run, so simply can't, and therefore just slowly expand year after year. Bamboos with Pachymorphic rhizomes include: Bambusa, Dendrocalamus, and, off course, Fargesia sp.

best
weve
metalhammer

Re: Bamboos: Clumpers or Runners

Post by metalhammer »

Slightly off topic,but if you think a running bamboo is a problem,try dealing with Japanese knotweed.l did some years back,this is capable of producing runners upto 10' in one season(mine did),also when pulled out of the ground,it had 27 buds on it,all just starting to grow.This particular runner was only about 2" below the soil surface,when l set about digging the plant out,l found deep runners as well,some getting on for 2' down + any little bit of root left will produce a new plant.

metalhammer.
eddie

Post by eddie »

My Phyll. Attrovaginata tries to escape from his nice cement tank whenever he believes he sees his chance :lol:
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Hi
We have a screen of leylandi about 20m long and want to replace it with bamboo. We want one that is evergreen, will spread along the 20m boundary where the leylandi is but can be contained from coming into the garden with a root retainer, also need a height of about 10 / 12feet. Has anyone any suggestions of what might suit?
Rgds
Mark
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Weve, you didn't mention Sasa bamboo's, they can run a bit too. :wink:
weve

Post by weve »

Nigel
Thanks for pointing that out. although it wasn't meant to be comprehensive as I am certainly not a Bamboo expert! (i just grow fargesias). Its was mainly to explain generally about the two different types and the doubt that arose on the Dicksonia antarctica thread about phyllostachys nigra being described as a non-invasive clumper on websites.

Bamboo growers, do feel free to add to the list or give more expert advice> what I've posted is about the sum total of my bamboo knowledge :)
best
weve
simon

Post by simon »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Hi
We have a screen of leylandi about 20m long and want to replace it with bamboo. We want one that is evergreen, will spread along the 20m boundary where the leylandi is but can be contained from coming into the garden with a root retainer, also need a height of about 10 / 12feet. Has anyone any suggestions of what might suit?
Pseudosasa japonica
markj

Post by markj »

weve wrote:Pachymorphph rhizomes are extremely short, do not branch away from the main plant and more importantly, a bud can only form at the end of the rhizome
Pachymorphic clumpers do not have the biological means to run, so simply can't, and therefore just slowly expand year after year. Bamboos with Pachymorphic rhizomes include: Bambusa, Dendrocalamus, and, off course, Fargesia sp.

best
weve

Nice write up :D

But as with a lot of things it can get a little more complicated, here in the Uk the clumping bamboos from Yushania can be very aggressive in growth, in fact far more so than many Phyllostachys and yet is classified as a clumper icon_scratch

The 'necks' on these can be very long so new culms can appear 2 meters away, they also prefer our climate as opposed to the Phyllostachys which on the whole find it to cold.

There's also some very nice bamboos from Chusquea with long necks, one, grown by many is 'gigantea' again this is a very vigorous bamboo with little thought to it's clumper tag LOL

Just worth bearing in mind....
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

l was told never to plant Chusquea breviglumis(C.gigantea)without putting a 30" deep concrete barrier to retain it.

My nearest bamboo nursery has Yushania anceps,but has that it is invasive on it's label.

metalhammer.
Jim Glazzard

Post by Jim Glazzard »

metalhammer wrote: My nearest bamboo nursery has Yushania anceps,but has that it is invasive on it's label.
metalhammer.
As Mark mentioned, yushania rhizomes can be very long.
The bed of yushania anceps 'Pitt White' at Bamboo Glade is now a grove 5 metres long and 2.5 wide, and still spreading gently, with gaps between the culms wide enough to walk through. Though pachymorph, the casual visitor sees it as running riot!

Jim
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Pseudosasa japonica and Phyllostachys varieties are fine up here.

In fact, I wish they were a bit more vigorous to be honest.

Poor soil and cool temperatures = slow growing bamboos, bleeurrgh!
Jim Glazzard

Post by Jim Glazzard »

Pseudosasa japonica is a good choice for a 12ft high boundary hedge if you are willing to restrict or control its spread.
Thamnocalamus is another hardy genus of bamboo with a pachymorph habit like fargesia.

Jim
simon

Post by simon »

Adam D wrote:Pseudosasa japonica and Phyllostachys varieties are fine up here.

In fact, I wish they were a bit more vigorous to be honest.

Poor soil and cool temperatures = slow growing bamboos, bleeurrgh!
Adam, with the benefit of reduced vigour, do you also forfeit the desirable large culms?
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

simon wrote: Adam, with the benefit of reduced vigour, do you also forfeit the desirable large culms?
Unfortunately, yes Simon.

I have quite a few bamboos in my garden and none of them grow what you would call large culms. They also do not get that high either.

I guess that it is swings and roundabouts though as I do not have the worry of one of them going crazy and sending runners everywhere!
eddie

Post by eddie »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Hi
Rgds
Mark
You can try Pseudosasa Japonica as Simon said. Once established they look really nice (around here in my town they do). You can also plant a Fargesia every 50-75cm. Depending on your budget because that one doesn't expand that much so you will need quite a lot of plants. They look nice though with many small leaves. I've found out that some fargesia species do not grow that well though. I can not say witch ones exactly because the labels in the shops are often wrong.

If you are going to use a root container i would say use a fast growing one like phyllostachus
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas