Mick from Chatham

Mick from Chatham

Post by Guest »

Hi
Back again lol.
:?
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

thats me sorry, having porbs with the forum.
Mick
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Mick,

:oops: So are we! :oops: We lost the web server disk, and have had to go to backups, on a differnt server, but unfortunately that was before you joined the forum, so you will need to re-register, and if possible re-enter your posts.

Sorry about the problems. Watch the announcments topic for more news.

Best Regards
Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Members pictures page

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Mick,

Regarding the member's pictures page we spoke about on the posts that were lost. I will work on that over the weekend.

Got your pictures thanks. The garden looks very jungly. Basjoo and Maurelii in very good condition. I guess your garden is more sheltered from the wind than mine. My basjoo are fine until they reach 8 feet then get shredded and desicated by the wind. I normally have to cut them back at least once a summer. Because they started late this year they have been ok so far.

If you want to put any words around the pictures email me.

Cheers
Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mixiepalms »

HI Dave
The reason I have all the nanas etc is my palms are all small. Long term I want it to be mostly palms. Also this year I have added 3 acacias. They are growing well. As for the hardiness my friend has a 3 yr old on e and it is already 15 ft plus with a nice trunk.
My trachys have done well this year. Cant believe how well. Seems the bigger they get the quicker the growth rate.
The garden isnt really that sheltered. I am for ever trimmming leaves. I have found washing up water and water from the tumble drier have kept them going.
Thanks for your comments.
regards
Mick
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Mick,

8) Yes, I know what you mean about fast growing trachies. My Trudi Trachycarpus puts on a foot of trunk a year Now. She is about 18 feet in 27 years, but was only about 3feet at 10 years. 8)

:roll: My problem now is I don't have much room for any more big palms. I'd love to have a big Phoenix canariensis, but they don't like my soil. it's too heavy in the winter. They are fine overwintering outside in pots, but as soon as I plant them out the middles rot out. Happens time and again. They survive in the area but not in my garden. There is a 15 footer in The Fairway, off Singlewell Road in Gravesend. :roll:

:wink: I concentrate now on what they call the soft furnishings. I am heavily into Colocasias at the moment. I had always thought they were tropical and hopelessly tender, but not true. Some of them are as tuff as nails. Burgundy stem and Fontanesii are my favourites, as they are easy to overwinter. :wink:

speak more L8r

Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mixiepalms »

Winston the bubba palm has now pride of place in the garden.
Many thanks Dave.
Trying to find names for all my others now :?
Have a great weekend.
Mick
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi,

Glad to hear Winston is settling in.

My naming conventions are to roll off the tongue. Trunky Trachycarpus, Aggie Agave, Cassy Cordy and Howie Sabal. Of course Howie wasn't a Sabel when I grew the seed and named him. Originally he was Howie Howea.

Best of luck

Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mixiepalms »

winston as in winston waggie Trachycarpus cross. :lol:
couldnt think of anything to go with waggie Trachycarpus cross other than winston.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

Dave
sorry lost ya email addy and phonenumber.

arums r here for ya.

can u email me

[email protected]

Then we can arrange a time for me to bring them to you.

Soz to post it like this mate, but the pc did a loopy and I lost everything.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Mick, Sorry to hear about your PC. This is where making backups of selected items is a good idea. Of course if the disk fails your backup has to be on a different disk. I'll email you the contact details again.

By the way the maurelli have grown about a foot since you left them here. Still haven't put the doors on the covered courtyard yet, but while it is still mild don't want to cut down the airflow. Berberis Darwinii and Choiosa ternata have just come into flower, and Trachycarpus seedlings are still popping up.

Regards
Dave
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright