Chamaedorea microspadix - The Bamboo Palm

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Chamaedorea microspadix - The Bamboo Palm

Post by Dave Brown »

Nick, as you asked about Chamaedorea microspadix see HERE

This is a C. microspadix trunk, and you can see why it has the common name Bamboo palm.
20100205 C misrospadix trunk.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: What is your favourite fan palm?

Post by Nick »

Dave that's an interesting palm there, is it readily available to buy at garden centres or Akamba, so just how fast is it when it's in active growth :?: and what would a pot of this Bamboo Palm cost to buy :?: Dave if you don't mind me asking.I do like it, how is it with wind, how well dose it stand up to strong winds :?: :?:
Thanks for sharing this info with me Dave.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
redsquirrel

Re: Chamaedorea microspadix - The Bamboo Palm

Post by redsquirrel »

when i bought my first microspadix from nigel ,he very kindly wrote me a label for it. when i looked, one side read chamaedorea microspadix. on the other side of the label it read 'slug bait' :lol: :lol: first joke we ever shared.touch wood to date,none of mine have been munched
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dave are they really slug food :?: as I get lots of slugs and snails in my garden and if I get one I don't wont it eaten alive :x :x :x

icon_sunny icon_sunny
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Two words Nick - slug pellets :lol:
After reading the threads on here, could this one be a good candidate for here. I've never thought of planting this as they look too delicate to survive :?

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dicas I am more worried about the wind with this one breaking it's stem or rather bending it over so it would never stand up right anymore icon_scratch icon_scratch
slugs would get pellets :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
dk

Post by dk »

Very nice plant... but what happens when (not if) this plant get hit by -8 and below like we've had this year, is it likely to resprout from the root?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

so far DK,my radicalis which is outside doesnt show any signs of major damage and the microspadix in the unheated polytunnel still looks good too. we had near enough -10 here for 2 nights,both had shelter of sorts but you would plant in a sheltered area anyway.a tiny clump of microspadix i forgot last year,less than a foot in the pot,came through -9 with some leaf burn. i think was very lucky in that instance though as it was tiny plants
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Nick, C. radicalis can take more sun than just about any other Chamaedorea, but don't get confused, C. radicalis and C microspadix are not the same plant and do not share the same degree of sun tolerance. :roll:

C. microspadix will need shade and an ovehead canopy to survive in most places. Mine is under the north facing, open porch. :wink:

There is virtually no chance of the trunks being snapped in the wind, but the leaflets get completely ripped off leaving the bare midrib.

This is not a palm to pay a lot for to experiment with in an exposed situation. For that you'd be better off growing from seed and trying a some out in a few years time. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel Fear »

Dave Brown wrote:Nick, C. radicalis can take more sun than just about any other Chamaedorea, but don't get confused, C. radicalis and C microspadix are not the same plant and do not share the same degree of sun tolerance. :roll:

C. microspadix will need shade and an ovehead canopy to survive in most places. Mine is under the north facing, open porch. :wink:

There is virtually no chance of the trunks being snapped in the wind, but the leaflets get completely ripped off leaving the bare midrib.

This is not a palm to pay a lot for to experiment with in an exposed situation. For that you'd be better off growing from seed and trying a some out in a few years time. :wink:
Dave, do you still have any C.Radicalis seedlings for sale?
I'd like a few if you do! 8)
Simba

Post by Simba »

Must be honest, both of these have appeared on my radar as possibles for 2010....

I think the Radicalis is slightly the better looking of the two, so I might well have a punt one of them this year. :D
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dave my little C. radicalis has sailed through this winter with out any sign of damage, for a palm so small it would have had trouble handling this winters temps, but it's looking really good outside and it only has a tracy leaf or two over head for protection, in-fact I must admit I forgot all about it :oops: :oops: so I would be well happy to have more of this palm to grow around the garden.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have never had a problem with microspadix either through cold or slugs.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

My little microspadix has been in the ground for 2 years, no damage at all but hardly grown. It is under my trachys and should be growing lol. No it isnt plastic Darren!!! I have a radicalis to plant this year. Fingers crossed it will grow lol. If i get another radicalis I may keep it indoors for a few years then plant out at a reasonable size.

Mix
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian wrote:I have never had a problem with microspadix either through cold or slugs.
Is it outside this winter :?: as I recall you said you had -7.8C ish which is close to it's supposed limit.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright