Yorkshire Kris blog: Cow protection

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Yorkshire Kris blog: Cow protection

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Hi all,

Just realised I haven't posted any pics of my garden. I have been into exotics for about four years but until this year I have mainly concentrated on cannas, dahlias and the odd banana. The only permenant feature in my garden has been the tree ferns. This winter I've picked up a few palms that I intend to keep in pots until I move in about 3/4 years. Really been inspired by the pics on this forum, especially before and after shots to show growth rates of palms, agave bananas etc. As I;m still youngish I hope to take all the palms with me when I eventually move and create my own piece of paradise.
Attachments
web042.jpg
we041.jpg
qqq040.jpg
ggg039.jpg
Last edited by Yorkshire Kris on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 82 times in total.
Adam D

Re: Just thought I'd share some pics of my garden

Post by Adam D »

Great looking garden Kris!

Very colourful.

I can understand why you would want to keep any new palms in pots if you are wanting to move in the medium term.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

wow,those fronds on the Dicksonia antarctica are enormous icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I bulit the arid bed last summer and left the Agaves out this winter. They are now dead but the opuntia sem fine as does the dysrolion (sp) and the Aeonium (these are in greenhouse)

By the way how much does mushy Agave stink!!! I chopped off all the remains of mine this week and they reaked like nothing I've ever smelt!
Attachments
edi3036.jpg
edit 2037.jpg
edited038.jpg
DSC_0021021.jpg
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Cheers. The Dicksonia antarctica was £90 three years ago. Its about 5 foot tall (was over 6 foot before I planted it) The fronds are also about 5 foot long
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

That's a great looking garden, Kris
I agree with Adam it's very colourful. I like to have some bright colour in my patch too - it gives a seasonal lift to what could otherwise be a bit static and green. I really like the bright Coleus (Solenostemon) and the Lobelia cardinalis. Do you have to water that a lot? Years ago I grew it as a marginal plant in the pond but think there are now forms more adaptable to planting in the border and less moisture demanding.
Pete
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Cardinalis grows everywhere! in most borders and in lots of pots. It divides so easily. Started with 2 plants 4 years ago and now have at least 30 -40 in pots ready to go out into the garden. It needs no more water the the other bedding plants and grow up to 4/5 foot in the ground with minimal feeding.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Very nice Kris, agree with the others about the cheery colours, (which I keep failing to achieve) red & yellow combos look good in this setting.

I've tried Lob cardinalis a couple of times but the have not survived winter, but am encouraged by your success to try them again.
bev

Post by bev »

very nice healthy plants kris icon_thumleft

cheers

lee
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

really like some of the panting kris the coleous, with the euconomis!! is it?? looks great..plus my lob cardinalis been good and hardy here even stayed red this winter the little crowns!!
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

loving the Dicksonia antarctica's it's making me want to get more which i might do.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Well organised & colourful 8)
kata

Post by kata »

Very nice Kris,

Them Cardinalis, I bought one last year, no idea if it survived the snow blanket.

I have to walk accross the lawn to get to the border and at the minute its sodden wet through, no chance to look if its still there.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Nick R

Post by Nick R »

Really inspirational photos!

Love the colours and shapes, have ordered some Coleus seeds and Eucomis bicolor bulbs, I hadn't heard of the Lobelia cardinalis before now but it looks incredible! It is definately something I want to try this year, I thought about Lobelia tupa but the cardinalis would be better as it doesnt grow as tall.

Nick :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Great garden & pics icon_thumleft

Really colourful & lovely to see pics like this at this time of the year, I can't wait until summer! icon_sunny