The Damage So Far

DiCasS

The Damage So Far

Post by DiCasS »

You're probably all getting fed up of these sort of post now, but thought I would give a list of plants that have disappointed and surprised me here in Hereford.

A small Phoenix canariensis_CIDP - I thought was going to make it only a few days ago but is now rapidly going downhill, but no surprise.

Cordyline Australis - whole new branches from last year have collapsed and fallen. I have a few in my garden and not one has escaped damage.

Fascicularia bicolor - looks very variegated, might make it.

Butia Capitata, approx. 2ft trunk - After looking in daylight today, most of the leaves are brown. Central spear looks good.

Cordyline Indivisa - a weak plant to start with has finally succumbed.

Loquat - Top growth is ruined.

Yucca Eliphantipes - dead

Curculio crassifolia - dead

Scheffie Macrophylla - dead

Astelia ( chat?) - looks very much dead

Actually, I think there are only the more hardy Yuccas, Trachycarpus fortunei and Schefflera taiwaniana that have come through without any damage. Many more plants in the garden are looking iffy. With a forecast of another -5 and -6 tonight and tomorrow, I'm beginning to wonder if I'll have much left by Summer. :(

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adrian

Re: The Damage So Far

Post by Adrian »

Di, dont throw out the Yucca elephantipes just yet, mine get hammered most winters and to the point that the trunk goes soft with full defoliation but they always come back again.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Oh dear Di, that is a sorry list.

It has been a horrible winter :(
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Ade how fast do your Yuccas grow back?

Sorry to hear about your losses Di, if it's any consolation, you're not alone with having to put up with damage.
kata

Post by kata »

You're probably all getting fed up of these sort of post now
:lol: :lol: A big nooooooooooooo

We need this imformation then we know how to molly coddle them through the winter.

I was wondering for the Agave if them glass cloches would be ok? The fleece was useless against what I now believe was a grey squirrel that ate through it.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks for that Adrian, a bit of encouraging news - I'll leave it where it is then.

Adam, I can fully understand what you are going through with your garden now, and probably others too. Dust ourselves down and start again is the only thing to do icon_thumleft

Thanks Stephen, it sounds like we may not have lost our Yuccas afterall :D

I'm just glad I put a lot of stuff undercover this year, I was tempted to trial some outside, but at the last minute put them away, so glad I did.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Kata, yes I think this Winter the rules were changed slightly, the low temperatures was a surprise in itself, but it was the duration of frost (day and night) which was the killer, for me here at least.

Sorry, can't help you on your glass cloche protection, but sure someone here will be able to help you.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
themes

Post by themes »

lidl has some glass coldframes 20 quid..or thereabouts.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Same ones at Wyvale for £59 a couple of weeks ago, but I think they are in the sale now. About half price I think.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

apart from the butia di, it perhaps isnt that disasterous.some of them may come back.dont give up on the loquat either,apparently they go black in cold weather
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Yes but mines crispy :? . Lower down it doesn't look too bad though and probably will pull through, fingers crossed.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

1 large & one medium Phoenix canariensis_CIDP are dead + a large yatay bought from Hardy Palms about 4 or 5 years ago,cost £230 has finally had it.Maybe a couple of dozen Trachycarpus seedlings of various sp.,3 Beschorneria sp. planted out in the garden & 1 Schefflera aff.delavayi which survived arround -10c last winter has karked it this year,it might pop some shoots from under the soil,but does look bad.Fasicularia pitcairnifolia dead as the proverbial Norwegian Blue.Several Torbay Dazzler Cordylines have lost there spears,but will undoubtedly re-generate from underground.That's about it,but I was much better prepared this year,a lot of plants were undercover by late November 2009.

metalhammer.
weve

Post by weve »

You have my sincere sympathies........................ :(

Be interested in what was your lowest temp, altho' as you say, its the relentless and prolonged cold that seems to be the killer this year (altho' in saying that I have (so far) a lot less damage than last year when i had only 5 days of continuous sub zero, but with a low of -8 compared with a -5.5 low this time combined with "regular" -3's and -4's since December).

Suprised and saddened about the loquot, the first I heard with any damage (see recent Eriobotrya thread) and also about the astelia and that your cordylines are showing so much damage (all of mine, red and green, are all untouch, except for "Sundance" - all leaves totally toasted). Considering all the Cordylines in Torbay have done OK (or at least showed only a little damage) in every winter since '63 (when the sea froze and decimated them) this must be exceptional.

don't give up on anything until it is certain it is definitely no more. (I have had a few suprising "resurrections" in my time!)

best sympathetically
weve
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Sorry to hear you've lost all those plants - it's starting to become a trend :(

MH, which Bessies have you lost. Beschorneria have done pretty well here. Okay, the 'Quicksilver' looks a bit ruffled round the edges, but the 'Septentrionalis' (sp?) looks in much better condition. The latter always come through a lot better for me.
Especially pleased this year.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

One was 'septentrionalis' & as I don't label plants in the garden,I can't tell you what the others were,but they all survived -10c in pots last year,but got totally trashed at I guess around -8c at ground level this year.

metalhammer.