Phoenix Roebelenii

dino

Phoenix Roebelenii

Post by dino »

Just bought a 5ft Phoenix Roebelini which I think is also known as a Dwarf Date Palm.

It cost £30. Don't know if that's good value. I think it is. Also don't know much about it apart from it's not hardy here so needs bringing indoors. Anyone got one or know anything about them, care etc.

Thanks in advance,
Dino
dwarf date palm.JPG
jezza

Re: Phoenix Rubelini

Post by jezza »

I paid that price for one with a trunk half the height. I found mine has a massive growth spurt when indoors and the leaves were lighter green than the others.. It's now in a heated greenhouse and growth has slowed down a bit.
redsquirrel

Re: Phoenix Rubelini

Post by redsquirrel »

bargain for 30 quid if you like them.no room here for one though,too viscious for indoors and hopelessly tender outside
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Birmingham Chris

Re: Phoenix Roebelinii

Post by Birmingham Chris »

Dino - put this on the main forum; it's in the wrong place here! You'll get a lot more feedback and answers. :wink:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Could you not put it outside with a bit of protection round it. The temps hopefully should be getting warmer soon. That is one bargain mate.
I am growing one but from seed so really nice to see what mine will look like in years to come. great pic dino thanks for sharing :)
jezza

Post by jezza »

It'll be ok indoors for another month or so, until it's warm enough to go outside, if you can find the space that is.
dino

Post by dino »

Can I edit this and put on the main forum or do I have to start again?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

dino wrote:Can I edit this and put on the main forum or do I have to start again?
Moved for you :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Simba »

I visited York with some friends a few weekends back, and on the Saturday there was a guy selling loads of Roebellinii about the same size as Dino's for £40.

When we were staggering back to our B&B late Saturday night, I was absolutely astounded, to see that the guy had left all of his stock, including about 30 Roebellinii, still out on the pavement overnight, and noboby touched it.... :shock:
tenchy

Post by tenchy »

where you get that from mate. bit of a bargain. icon_salut

the ones at b&q last year were a lot smaller for that price or might have even been a bit more, cant remember exactly now icon_scratch
neonlights

Post by neonlights »

Image0151.jpg
i bought this from ikea 3 or 4 months ago for an amazing £2.50.
it was reduced and looked half dead but had to give it ago.
once i got it home i gave it alot of water as it was bone dry! it soon perked up.
3 of the center spears were dead and have since pulled them out as one had black mould on it, now luckily a new spear is on its way up now. :D
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Phoenix roebellenii can be stood outside for the summer, but keep them out of direct sun otherwise the fronds will scorch. They love lots of water too, so keep them well watered & never let them dry out...

I have a couple planted out in my garden, oldest one has been there for about 6/7 years now but it spear pulled last winter, before recovering by the autumn. It has been damaged again by this winter, but not spear pulled (yet). My newer one was from IKEA & has badly frost burnt leaves, though probably the damage was caused more by the snow, as it only has a cover of fleece...

Temperatures below around -2C will damage them & below -4C will kill them...
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thats a cracker for £30.
As Nathan said, no direct sun or youll be in for a burnt crown.
Best grown in pots and stood in water, mine stand in water all year round.
I do usually grow a couple in the ground each year but they are only bought as bedding and are treated as such.

Nit picking but Ive seen a few different spellings here and on the other thread that started this one, its Phoenix roebelenii or should be :wink:
shed

Post by shed »

Would it be possible to acclimatise these to full sun starting in weaker spring sunshine and bringing in to avoid late frosts?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes you can do that but to keep them pristine they need to be in shade or dappled shade.
Of course it depends on where they have come from, if theyve been grown outside down in Spain then they wont need acclimatising but if they have been brought on under glass then the leaves arent as resistant to the suns rays.