CAN YOU SCARIFY PHOENIX ROeBELeNII SEEDS?

sanatic1234

CAN YOU SCARIFY PHOENIX ROeBELeNII SEEDS?

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi i am about to sow some more phoenix seeds but want to try a new method of soaking them for 3 days and scarifying them. Do you think this work with quicker germination?
redsquirrel

Re: CAN YOU SCARIFY PHOENIX ROBELINII SEEDS?

Post by redsquirrel »

moist compost,sealed bag in your prop is all you need.phoenix sprout really quickly and rot after a short while if they dont.no need for any extra means to help those
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

What Darren said icon_salut
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

It doesn't happen in the wild & if you happen to damage the kernel it will rot quickly.Phoenix only need a bit of heat to germinate.

metalhammer.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

It is interesting what you said about the heat metalhammer, i changed my compost in my heated propagator today. As i was doing this i found 2 robelinii seeds that hadn't germinated icon_scratch they must of been in there for at least 2 months. but then saying this the compost was bone dry in the centre of my propagator but the front, back and sides of my propagator soil was still moist i really can't explain why this was though. May be this was why my seeds didn't germinate icon_scratch
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Bone dry soil isnt ideal for germinating something that loves to stand in water :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That will probably explain the non germination then Adrian :lol: icon_thumleft

Don't you think its strange how only the centre compost dried out but the rest of the compost in the propagator was moist? The centre must get warmer than the rest of the propagator
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The middle of my prop gets a fair bit warmer than toward the outside, I have a laser pointer thermometer that gives me the temperature at the point where the laser hits an object and it can be a couple of degrees warmer in the middle.

Germinating seed in moist soil in a ziplock bag is best and rarely dries out.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am trying this method now i haven't filled the bag up totally with compost but it is 3 quarters full, it isn't a zip top its one of those clip together bags. and have now put this inside my propagator. Hopefully i will have a result!

If i can finally get a washie to germinate then i have faith in the phoenix :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

If you put fresh or good Phoenix seeds in a ziplock bag with moist compost in a propagator or warm airing cupboard they will germinate in 2 to 3 weeks.
Soak them first for a couple of days.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i stopped soaking mine Ade and to be honest,it hasnt seemed to make any difference. i thought this might give them a little longer before they squidge but not so.still germinate freely aswell
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

yeah i did soak my seeds first adrian so im on the right tracks then. and in a sealed bag and in my heated prop so roll on 2 - 3 weeks. :D