eddoes

metalhammer

eddoes

Post by metalhammer »

Whilst fishing around for information on eddoes,I found that they are actually a Colocasia - Colocasia esculenta var.antiquorum.

edit,looks like I made a cock up & put the web address on the wrong post,it is http://www.cooltropicalplants.com

metalhammer.
Last edited by metalhammer on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Re: eddoes

Post by Neil »

Hello metalhammer, I have also been checking out the idea of eddoes and coco yam (xanthosoma) having seen a very good piece on them on the website 'Cool Tropical Plants'. There are lot's of African/afro carribean shops close to me so i'll check them out shortly. Have printed off a picture from the website showing both Eddoes and Coco yam next to eachother to get a clearer idea of what i am after. neil :D
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Bev brought me some eddoes on Saturday,ethnic shops are conspicuous by there absence around here.Don't think many ethnics have penetrated west Hampshire & east Dorset.

metalhammer.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

If you can find them try Arbi,they're a much smaller tuber,but produce a much nicer plant than an eddoe.
Seem to be a bit hardier too.If kept in a greenhouse they stay green.
Also had some come back from the ground last spring.So with a bit of luck they'll come back this year too.
daftbanana

Post by daftbanana »

Bought some Eddoes in my local Asda last spring - they all grew into plants that I dug out at the end of summer and have kept going in the greenhouse over winter. I haven't seen them in stock again at Asda since last time though, but perhaps there a 'seasonal stock'.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

There are a few topic on eddoes as these were available from Tesco and Asda, but I think it was a small market and the product has now been dropped. The checkout person at Asda asked me how I cooked them, she looked quite bemused when I said " I don't cook them, I grow them" :lol:

Eddoes are a smaller leaved cultivar of Colocasia esculenta, but are good as fill in plants, and pretty tough in milder winters.

For a bold statement I don't think you can beat the one I call Mammoth, or or Jack's Giant, but they do need space. :wink:

Also Look Here
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by metalhammer »

I have a couple of Jack's Giant on order from Amulree.

metalhammer.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

I found some today in a shop in soton.Picked three round ones and three sausage shaped ones, all for one pound twenty two! Whats the best way to get them going?? Nige. :?:Am i right in thinking the same as planting canna rhizomes with some heat?
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Got mine in my airing cupboard just stood in a tray,wait until I see some growth,then pot up.This was the instructions I was given.First time I've tried from tubers.Previously bought growing plants,but they have become prohibitively expensive now.

metalhammer.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Thanks MH, I'll try putting them on my python viv,nice and warm there 24/7. Nige.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Picked up 5 Eddoes today, have placed them in sandwich bags on a radiator in the dining room :lol: :lol: neil :D
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Keep an eye out for mould if you've sealed the bags Neil.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I have to get mine out the loft ,Nige Pook wot type of Python have you got,Plenty of halal hello shops in southampton.
nige pook

Post by nige pook »

Derrick,re what tpe of python. Shes only a little last year hatched royal (pthon regius),not quite as large as the last one, a fifteen foot burmese! Nige.