Any ideas whats wrong with my Agave Ferox?

MonkeyDavid

Any ideas whats wrong with my Agave Ferox?

Post by MonkeyDavid »

I have an agave ferox which is showing damage to it's leaves. It did the same thing this time last year,one by one the leaves develop a brown dried up patch in the centre leaving a border of about 1" still green around it. only 2 leaves were untouched & it took all summer to replace the damage. Last year i put it down to being moved from shade into sun too quickly but this winter it hasn't moved from it's spot. It was brought into the greenhouse in October & hasn't been watered until today, it's minimun temp was -4 on a couple of occasions although usually no lower than -2 with days around +6 to +10. I have other agaves of similar size next to it, namely americanas (plain, varigated, medio picta alba), franzosinii, montana, all of which are unscathed. I first noticed this years damage last week but just on 2 leaves & i thought "at least it's not as bad as last year". Checked it today & it's now started to show on most leaves. If it is cold damage then i don't understand it as i was lead to believe they were as tough as plain americanas. I know it'll look a mess again this year but can i stop it happening next year?
Attachments
Ferox.JPG
metalhammer

Re: Any ideas whats wrong with my Agave Ferox?

Post by metalhammer »

You should've seen the state of the ones we saw in Falmouth in 1997!!!!.The americana's had been damaged to an extent,but the ferox along the top of the cliff had been totally trashed.Only had centre spear & couple of the very latest leaves left.

metalhammer.
paul h

Re: Any ideas whats wrong with my Agave Ferox?

Post by paul h »

Hi Monkey David
If it is cold damage then i don't understand it as i was lead to believe they were as tough as plain americanas. I know it'll look a mess again this year but can i stop it happening next year?
Unfortunately agave ferox is very variable in hardiness and very much dependant on clone,the damage does look like cold damage/ poor ventilation one thing you might try next year is lifting the pot up and putting it on another pot thats upside down this should help with better air circulation arround the plant or possibley try a fan if possible
Ps glad to see someone else close by is trying agaves :DD