Agave nigra

metalhammer

Agave nigra

Post by metalhammer »

Anybody heard of Agave nigra?,found some at Amulree,god they are gorgeous,only got a terminal spine.Also found Agave weberi,£125,but the cheque book wobbly badly & I nearly succumbed.Depending on how much gets spent on Monday will decide if I have one of the Agave nigra @ £45.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Re: Agave nigra

Post by redsquirrel »

deb bought one last april.it just about scraped through winter with a tiny bit of leaf shrivelling but no rot or discolouring
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I want one because it ain't covered in spikes.See how much gets spent on Monday first.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

will see if debs got any smaller ones kicking about she might let you have.i have a feeling there might be some babies somewhere
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I worship the ground you walk on :D :D :D ,would be much appreciated if she has.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

the potted up pups all rotted off,i remember chucking them now.left them out the front thinking they were quite hardy.sorry .will have a look at dtj monday,they have a good selection icon_thumright
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

B&T don't have either weberi or nigra,nor do mesagarden in the US.

metalhammer.
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

Just been looking at the photos of Agave Nigra and Agave Weberi on the Amulree web site. Very nice indeed.

AGAVE FRANZOSINI sounds a very nice Agave too. The bright glaucous blue/grey leaves can reach 6 ft long and up to 1 ft wide,not known in the wild,VERY,VERY RARE. And not surprisingly out of stock at Amulree. Anybody know if Agave Franzosini is hardy or not?

Problem is there are so many lovely plants out there but our garden is now almost full. Although I'm sure next winter will help clear a few spaces.:)
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Not very I would think would be a good guess,this winter has shown how unhardy Agaves in general are.

Neither Mesagarden or B&T are currently listing it.I got seeds from Doug & Vivi Rowland a number of years back,but I'm sure they are no longer in business.

metalhammer.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

We have had A weberi & A franzosinii planted outside here for the past 4 years, with winter protection. Both great plants, the weberi did have some damage on the lower leaves this winter but the franzosinii sailed through. They are both growing already

A weberi
DSC04799.JPG
DSC04799.JPG (121.05 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
A franzosinii, it's a fabulous colour
DSC04815.JPG
DSC04815.JPG (94.36 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
A nigra, not so good, the centre has completely gone.
DSC04624.JPG
DSC04624.JPG (127.14 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Melissa
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Melissa,my nigra will go in when the frost threatens.I'm not a great Agave lover,to damned prickly & get hammered with frost.But was really taken with nigra at Amulree.Simon told me you don't live far away.

We have met some years back,probably at the first EPS gathering at Kew.

I want to visit Urban Jungle & Reads the next time I make the trip upto Norfolk.

metalhammer.
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

Melissa wrote:We have had A weberi & A franzosinii planted outside here for the past 4 years, with winter protection. Both great plants, the weberi did have some damage on the lower leaves this winter but the franzosinii sailed through. They are both growing already

Melissa
In your thread about the Rain Shelters in the Overwintering section, you posted a photo of some Cacti under one of the rain shelters you built, how are those cacti looking now?

I hope you don't mind my curiousity as I'm a big fan of cacti and have been for many years, was just wondering how they faired outside after such a horrible winter.
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

metalhammer wrote:Simon told me you don't live far away.

We have met some years back,probably at the first EPS gathering at Kew.

I want to visit Urban Jungle & Reads the next time I make the trip upto Norfolk.
That was quite a few years ago when we went to the EPS trip to Kew, great day out.

We are about 30 mins from Simon and about 3mins from UJ, give us a call next time you are this way and pop in, if you have the time.

Melissa
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Essex Ross wrote: In your thread about the Rain Shelters in the Overwintering section, you posted a photo of some Cacti under one of the rain shelters you built, how are those cacti looking now?

I hope you don't mind my curiousity as I'm a big fan of cacti and have been for many years, was just wondering how they faired outside after such a horrible winter.
The cacti have faired pretty well, even the small ones I put in just see how they would get on. Some have got a small amount of damage but nothing to drastic. We haven't fully taken the covers off yet, as it's turned cold again but they will probably come off next week
DSC04550.JPG
DSC04550.JPG (111.18 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
DSC04540.JPG
DSC04540.JPG (114.43 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
Melissa
Essex Ross

Post by Essex Ross »

Melissa wrote:
Essex Ross wrote: In your thread about the Rain Shelters in the Overwintering section, you posted a photo of some Cacti under one of the rain shelters you built, how are those cacti looking now?

The cacti have faired pretty well, even the small ones I put in just see how they would get on. Some have got a small amount of damage but nothing to drastic. We haven't fully taken the covers off yet, as it's turned cold again but they will probably come off next week
Melissa
They look great! icon_thumright

I'm really pleased they came through the winter so well :D

Out of interest what is the species name of the cacti in the first picture?