Large Leaf plant - RHUBARB PLANT

Sat

Large Leaf plant - RHUBARB PLANT

Post by Sat »

Whilst on holiday in Wales saw a large leaf plant and when asked what it was it was a RHUBARB PLANT.

Do anyone grow these in their Jungle/ palm gardens?
metalhammer

Re: Large Leaf plant - RHUBARB PLANT

Post by metalhammer »

There are various ornamental Rheum(rhubarb)available.They work well with exotics,but have one problem in my experience,they get covered in black fly.Certainly easier to grow in less favorable conditions than Gunnera.

metalhammer.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

i have rhubarb for the large leaves looks good in the right position, and the ornamentle one both come back strong after last winter, n problem with either so far..
simon

Post by simon »

Rheum palmatum tanguticum is easy and reliably hardy for me and it just rockets in the spring.

Last edited by simon on Mon May 03, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sat

Post by Sat »

Thanks and pic looks great.

Next buying, Do I buy as seed or plant and where from?
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

I love it Simon, i bought one from Crug about a month ago , supposed send a large flower up , does it look as nice in the height of summer ? or as MH says does it get full of black fly .
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Best to buy as a plant.Try looking on http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder you'll find various suppliers of ornamental Rheum.Crug Farm list some,check there website.

metalhammer.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

most garden centres will doo them sat.. i have rheum palmate is very downy red underneath. theydont get too high hadge think the flower stalk stoots up though about three feet.
weve

Post by weve »

I grow a common or garden Rhubarb (timperley early..... i think) in amongst my exotics, and the number of impressed comments I get when it is full leaf, "Gosh, whats that!!!?" , as if its some weird & rare, big leaved exotic :D

Gave up on gunnera as I had to keep a trickling hose on it in any hot weather to stop it wilting and as MH says Rheum gets blackfly badly.

So I "traded down" to plain ordinary rhubarb, it looks suprisingly good in the border AND you can eat it! (having rhubarb tart and a cuppa as I type icon_thumleft )
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Try growing one called 'early Champagne',I pulled some sticks on Sunday morning that were best part of 2' long.I do grow mine on the allotment though.

metalhammer.
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

Thanks Rob , got lots of new stuff to plant in my new garden, hopefully going to move next week .
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

nice one hadge nice sunny garden then??
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

Yes Rob plenty of sunshine and shade areas as well , its much bigger than my garden .
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

nice one has to be a bonus hadge.. some hard work to come then.. all goood icon_thumleft
simon

Post by simon »

TOP BANANA wrote:I love it Simon, i bought one from Crug about a month ago , supposed send a large flower up , does it look as nice in the height of summer ? or as MH says does it get full of black fly .
I have had bad infestations on black fly on the flowers but not been a problem on the foliage before. The flower stalks on mine tend to be about 5' tall but the flowers are nothing to write home about and some people remove the stalks as they emerge so that they don't take energy form the plant.