Variegated Chamaedorea radicalis

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Variegated Chamaedorea radicalis

Post by Dave Brown »

My clump of Chamaedorea radicalis fruited and set seed in 2006/7 these were sown in spring 2007, and a successions of palm have germinated over the last 6 months. I swapped some pots at the Wisley meet. One of those I still have has a late germinated seedling, just growing it's first leaf. But this is a mainly white leaf with just a dark green edge. Hopefully there will be enough green to enable it to grow. It is unlikely to be soil conditions have brought this on as there are 4 other (normal) palms in the pot.

I have seen variegated Raphis excelsia, but not a Chamaedorea. Are variegated ones common. :?:
220108 Variegated Chamaedorea radicalis seedling.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
helen

Re: Variegated Chamaedorea radicalis

Post by helen »

Very common Dave. As such, you could just send that seedling to me, and I'll swap it for a green one for you. :)
Be careful, it's a jungle out there!
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Dave, I know you said that one of your Chamies has my name on it but I didn't realise that you loved me that much :wink:
Andy
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

AndyC wrote:Dave, I know you said that one of your Chamies has my name on it but I didn't realise that you loved me that much :wink:
Yes Andy, I do have one labelled with you name, but unfortunately for you, that is not it :lol: This pot had the half dozen or so ungerminated seed put into it so I could empty the seed tray.

Helen, common as they may be, I think I might hang on to this one :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

Something gives me the idea you won't get a straight answer on this one Dave :eyes: .
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

simon wrote:Something gives me the idea you won't get a straight answer on this one Dave :eyes: .
Something tells me he already has his answer!
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Dave are they known as 'bamboo palm'? If so how long do they take to germinate under normal circumstances? Oh, and I surpose a big 'well done' is in order.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

There are several palms called bamboo palm, but this is not one of them. You are maybe thinking of Chamaedorea microspadix. There are trunking radicalis, but my seed are the shorter ones. They took between 6 weeks and 6months to germinate at around 15 to 25C. :wink:

Edit: added pic

Seed just prior to harvesting May 2007 - One of two fruiting stems
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mark »

Virused :lol:

You do get the odd rougue Variegated seedling pop up now and again. I went to Peter Jenkins ( PJ Palms ) last year and he has a palm that has come up variegated too.
DSCF0129.JPG
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

i dont really like the look of that palm Mark, sort of doesnt look right to me. Varigation which is more 'even' appeals more to me.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I agree Gaz its not my cup of tea either. It was just to point out that they do pop up from time to time.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I hope it goes on to grow consistently variegated, it could be a potential beauty :D

Anyway just to add the the variegated photos here's the Palm Centre variegated Trachycarpus fortunei
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The main problem with an variegated plant is the white/cream bits are so tender they burn in sun or wind, or is it just feed. Hopefully the Chammy will be ok as will be in shade. I would have thought being white it would reflect all light, so it must be the leaf make up is very weak. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by turtile »

I had about 20 Sabal Uresana that were completely white/yellow. When they got to their second leaf, they began to look like the white area of the trachycarpus above and they eventually died.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

tutrtile, If they are completely albino, they will probably die as soon as the seed energy is used up. What I don't understand though is the crisping of white areas on plants with enough green to survive. variegation is obviously a genetic flaw which is more than just lack of chlorophil :roll:

Does the plant decide that bit is useless so does not supply nutrients to it :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright