Alocasia in wilko's

daz

Alocasia in wilko's

Post by daz »

Hi guys i heard on here about wilko's selling a few tropicals so i thought it would be very rude not to have a look so i went yesterday.I was like a kid in a sweet shop lol.I got Alocasia which one i don't know it just says on the packet alocasia[ elephant ears].Also 2 gingers . 2 cannas.Oh and sunflower seeds for my kids.All in all well happy :wink:
Don

Re: Alocasia in wilko's

Post by Don »

Nice haul, daz. I think that the thing labelled Alocasia is probably a Colocasia and they did better than most things last year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Last year's Wilco Alocasia was actually Colocasia esculenta Mammoth, but well worth purchasing if the same again. It had a reddish tinge to the base of the stems and roots.

First leaf

Big leaf
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Gaz »

Id agree and say its worth getting, even though i didnt get leaves as big as Daves. Hoping for better things this year. We have one living in the bathroom at the moment, or rather living most of the time in the bath itself, and its chucking out reasonable sized leaves now, so hopefully much bigger ones in the spring. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I checked Wilko's Luton again yesterday and their bulbs/tubers were nearly wiped out, mostly Dahlias were the only ones left!

They restock every Thursday btw 8)

Daz, careful getting Cannas from Wilkos, they say it's likely to have the Canna virus. It's up to you but if you haven't opened the packets might be worth returning them.
daz

Post by daz »

Thanks for the advice mark.Would thay be ok in a pot mate?Nice one dave i hope this one gets that big. :wink:
simon

Post by simon »

Daz, If you don't have any Cannas already then it's worth the risk, but if they come up dodgy looking, get rid straight away. The virus is spread by aphids so putting them in pots won't help matters.