Banana plant update

mushtaq86

Banana plant update

Post by mushtaq86 »

Here are the results of my banana plants after the horrible winter 2009/2010.My green house was set at min temp of 10c between October to may.majority of my nanas came through but some didn't,here are the results and pictures

Banana plants that didn't make it

1]musa ice cream] this banana plant did not die of cold but me being incompetent :roll: i slipped in the green house in December on the p-stem,and snapped it from the base,i put it on a heat mat but did not recover i think the shock was to much for it.

2]musa siam ruby] I wont be getting another siam ruby in a rush again its a very poor banana for UK conditions,the problem with this banana it does not like dry soil,which makes it impossible to keep it alive under temps of 14c,mine bit the dust in february,it also doesn't like our summer conditions unless we have a hot summer,grows very slowly in cool summers

3]musa dwarf cav] i preciously thought this banana would be OK in a greenhouse with a min temp of 10c,but its quite clear this nana doesn't like being being on hold and will start to rot as soon as this happens,this one bit the dust in April still surprised it lasted that long.The only time i have had success with dwarf cav is in my front room where temps did not drop below 15c and was in a south facing window.

4]supper dwarf cav]same result as with dwarf cav

5] musa basjoo stored bare rooted in garage,stayed green until i planted it in a pot,in may,used mouth wash on it to kill any bacteria before i potted it,stared to rot from the word go.

Banana plants that did make it through icon_cheers

1]musa dwarf jamican] this banana plant deteriorated a lot but has sent up a new roller,in may.

2]musa double mahoie] I'm surprised this nana came through our winter,considering its a sport of dwarf cav,it looks tatty but starting to pick up.

3]musa monthan] deteriorated a little but other than that it came through fine,and growing now.

4]musa gran nain] this nana is sending a new pup up,the mother plant doesn't look to good,whether it continues from last year,or puts its energy into the new pup remains to be seen.

5]musa manzano] same result a gran nain,to see if the original plant grows or the pups.

6]musa basjoo] if this plant did not come through our winter at min temp of 10c in the greenhouse i wouldn't even grow another nana
:lol: :lol: :lol:

7]musa ae ae[deteriorated a little in may,my first thoughts were here we go again,after the roots turned brown in 2009,but it has pushed a new roller through in the last two weeks,it will be interesting to see how big i can get it before October,as this is its third year with out sending any pups up.

8]musa kru]this banana plant has surprised me i didnt expect it to stay green all winter,i thought it would deteriorate badly in the winter months.

9]ensete maurelii] came through fine with out any deterioration

10]musa praying hands] very impressed with this banana stayed green all winter.

11]musa red iholene] I'm glad this nana came through winter with out any deteration as its my favorite nana

12]musa rajapuri]no problems with rajapuri,stayed green all winter

13]musa dwarf orinoco]stayed green all winter and even grew very slowly,with basjoo at temps of 10c,was impressed

14]musa zebrina]i got two of Darren last year aka red squirrel,pics are in a different thread,one made it that was in my front room and potted on, the other was kept in its original pot a deteriorated in Feb in the green house.

15]musa pisang raja] this nana is not looking good but the p-stem is still solid,hopefully a new roller will appear.

16]musa mysore]rot set in in april after slowly deteriorating from Feb.I cut off half the p-stem and has started slowly growing again since last week.
Attachments
Ensete maurelii.JPG
Ensete maurelii.JPG (65.99 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
musa ae ae.JPG
musa ae ae.JPG (65.1 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Musa basjoo.JPG
Musa basjoo.JPG (68.28 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Musa dwarf jamican.JPG
Musa dwarf jamican.JPG (70.59 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Musa dwarf orinco.JPG
Musa dwarf orinco.JPG (71.55 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Musa gran nain.JPG
Musa gran nain.JPG (61.8 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
musa kru.JPG
musa kru.JPG (64.39 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Musa Manzano.JPG
Musa Manzano.JPG (63.57 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Musa mothan.JPG
Musa mothan.JPG (56.96 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Musa mysore.JPG
Musa mysore.JPG (85.16 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Last edited by mushtaq86 on Sat May 22, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mushtaq86

Re: Banana plant update

Post by mushtaq86 »

I will be puting up the pics later on tonight.
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

you haven't mentioned sikkimensis in your list.
I've got two and they are both looking very secondhand in fact if they don't perk up by mid June they are history.

neither has sent out any new rollers, and the offset on one hasn't moved for a month now..
i know they aren't as hardy as some but i thought they would be on there way by now.. they were in a greenhouse, at 10c min like yours and been out for about a month now
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

last year my sikkis made a late start but overtook the basjoos when they got going
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

bit more miracle gro then Daz???????????
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i was getting concerned about a no show basjoo bucket but today,a whole inch of fat new shoot emerged icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
miracle grow,maxi-crop,you name it,i'll throw it on this year.stuff the weak growth come winter,if anything comes back this year,it should come back again
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

Here are the other pictures
Attachments
Musa pisang raja.JPG
Musa pisang raja.JPG (64.78 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Musa praying hands.JPG
Musa praying hands.JPG (64.03 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
musa rajapuri.JPG
musa rajapuri.JPG (65.82 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
musa red iholene.JPG
musa red iholene.JPG (63.85 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Musa double mahoi.JPG
Musa double mahoi.JPG (62.96 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

dave2166 wrote:you haven't mentioned sikkimensis in your list.
I've got two and they are both looking very secondhand in fact if they don't perk up by mid June they are history.

neither has sent out any new rollers, and the offset on one hasn't moved for a month now..
i know they aren't as hardy as some but i thought they would be on there way by now.. they were in a greenhouse, at 10c min like yours and been out for about a month now
i don't have a sikki so i cant comment on that.you should have kept your nanas in the greenhouse until you saw growth,as old roots might have gone, to push out new roots heat would be required,to give them a head start.
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

redsquirrel wrote:i was getting concerned about a no show basjoo bucket but today,a whole inch of fat new shoot emerged icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
miracle grow,maxi-crop,you name it,i'll throw it on this year.stuff the weak growth come winter,if anything comes back this year,it should come back again

Good to see your basjoo has recovered Darren. icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

stupid thing is i had a sickly plant last year that rotted of at the base and sent up a tiny pup end of season.that one emerged weeks ago.this late one is in a huge tub.perhaps it was waiting for soil temps to rise
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

redsquirrel wrote:stupid thing is i had a sickly plant last year that rotted of at the base and sent up a tiny pup end of season.that one emerged weeks ago.this late one is in a huge tub.perhaps it was waiting for soil temps to rise
One thing that i have learned quick in growing nanas is they hate wet cold soil.