just brought some americana agave seeds

sanatic1234

just brought some americana agave seeds

Post by sanatic1234 »

I thought i would have a go at growing some American agave seeds now that the rest of my seedlings/plants have been planted out. I know have more room to do it all over again. :D
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Fri May 28, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: just brought some american agave seeds

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

San
Got loads of pups here you could have had , standard and variagated. Once you have one agave you have loads, they just pup all the time.
sanatic1234

Re: just brought some americana agave seeds

Post by sanatic1234 »

Buffer!! :lol: Yeah i really do like these now especially the American agave, it looks lovely. The colour is very unusual but at the same time very distinct in identification.
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Fri May 28, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arlon Tishmarsh

If you want to see them, i can pm you a few photo's . If you like em have em just cover the postage which will probably be a couple of quids.

Mark
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah some pics of them would be awesome arlon, thanks a lot.
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arlon Tishmarsh

no probs, try and do it 2morrow, if not defo the weekend

Rgds
Mark
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Ok mate nice one, I do take it though that agaves have a very low hardiness level some only being around -2 to -3c
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Fri May 28, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arlon Tishmarsh

I can only go by my experience and can say i've never lost one. Even winter just gone, no losses and they were outside in pots. Pots were kept very dry, they were kept right close to the house and under the shelter of the eaves.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That is good to hear! So i take it they must have a good hardiness to them then as last year was very harsh with the cold.
Arlon Tishmarsh

The only thing i would say whether you have these or not or do it from your own seeds, they are very very sharp. Not just the end spike but all down the leaf. With your little fella running around you would have to be very careful
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hmmm icon_scratch, That is a very good point arlon! I suppose i could make a shut off point in the garden so he can't get to them. Y ou have got me thinking hard about this icon_scratch
Last edited by sanatic1234 on Fri May 28, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arlon Tishmarsh

A baby that can't get to something, yeh right. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me know, if you still want them i'll post the pics

Mark
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

San, do you mean Agave americana? as all Agave originate from North America.

Seriously, Agave americana and maybe all with the exception of attenuata, and children don't mix too well. My kids were a log older when I planted the Agave, but countless footballs were punctured :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think to be honest i will give it a miss arlon thanks for the offer though mate very kind of you. I have to put me little boy first before a plant even though these plants are very nice. :(
The joys of kids :lol:

Dave B. Yeah that is what i meant sorry about that. I will alter the topic heading.
Arlon Tishmarsh

No probs San, thats why i mentioned it. I wouldn't have let you have them before raising the issue. icon_thumleft