alocasia calidora

alan

alocasia calidora

Post by alan »

Hi dave i have just been looking on your aroid page at this plant did the potted calidora in your pictures make it through the winter and if so is it growing well as a plug plant i bought early on this year seems to be growing quite quickly
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The largish Calidora survived the covered courtyard with no damage, down to around zero C. 8) But as soon as I moved it up the garden, the first hint of sun fried all the leaves. :cry: It has now grown 5 spikes, and is on its first leaf again. which is about 1 inch diameter. :?
Large Calidora before the sunburn

The pup I pictured with the nice arrow shaped leaves is doing fine but the compost is too water retentive. I need to depot remove much of the compost and repot, but this disturbance seems to result in the loss of all the leaves.

Odora on the other hand, does not mind disturbance.

Image[/img]
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

I've had a Calidora since last year.Its never really done a great deal,except grow the odd leaf.However this year its decided to flower 8)
Will post some pics once i figure out how to
Steve
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Well heres a couple of pics as promised.

Thanks for sorting out the pic posting.I spent ages trying to post images today.Started out by starting a gallery on UKO,and trying to link to it.But was unsuccessful,probably down to my limited knowledge :roll: .Then tried Bt vault to store some pics,but again not too good.I could link to them via URL,but that didn't seem right somehow.Image[/url]oops looks like i just figured it out,sorry
Steve :D
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Using postimage is probably the easier way to do it.At least until i get the rest of my pics uploaded anyway :wink:
All the best Steve :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is how they should grow :roll:

I don't get it, after I moved mine and it lost all its leaves it has grown 6 spikes in as many weeks, it doesn't seem to mind cold, but it does not get huge. I was talking to someone on UKO who suggested treating them like cacti, very well drained, drying out between watering but with feed every time you do water. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

Now I'm really confused.
:?

this
you thought maybe a Colocasia Mammoth so has been in a tray being very spoilt and fed lots and is loving every minute of it!

and this

is not doing nearly as well yet is getting plenty of feed and water?
Should I be doing something different?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Libby,

This topic is about Alocaisa calidora.

Colocasia will grow in a pond or swamp in the warmer months of the year. So your Mammoth is getting what it requires. The second plant looks like an Alocasia.

Alocasia will die given the same treatment. I learned this the hard way. They do best (for me) in about 50% gravel with john Innes No3, but as I said, when I depotted them and changed the soil they resented the root distrubance and lost the leaves. However they do seem to be growing better once they recovered. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

:? This is so confusing!!!! I'll get it eventually!