Siam ruby

SteveW

Siam ruby

Post by SteveW »

Has anyone else on here bought a siam ruby from The Palm Farm?
And are they getting the red markings yet?
Reason I'm asking is the one I had previously was showing red from word go,this ones not.
Which is fine with me as I'm hoping its going to be the peridot variety(lime green),a 50/50 would've been nicere though :lol:
But what're the rest of them doing?
mixiepalms

Re: Siam ruby

Post by mixiepalms »

SteveW wrote:Has anyone else on here bought a siam ruby from The Palm Farm?
And are they getting the red markings yet?
Reason I'm asking is the one I had previously was showing red from word go,this ones not.
Which is fine with me as I'm hoping its going to be the peridot variety(lime green),a 50/50 would've been nicere though :lol:
But what're the rest of them doing?

i got a "red" basjoo lol from them basjoo my harris.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

mine sheared off at the corm but its now pushing up 4 pups i am hoping for 2 red and 2 green
:lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Steve I had a siam ruby from them a while back but the plug went downhill from day one, its sat on a heat tray but its just showing a small stem and is touch and go.
To be honest I was ready to order other items from them but held back after recieving the siam ruby as I think it was just too small to have been posted out.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They are tempremantal at the best of times. I lost mine, not from Palm Farm, finally this spring. :roll:

They grow OK in summer, but have never been what you would call a strong grower. Overwintering is a bit of a nightmare, as even if kept warm they seem to need more light than we have. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Adrian »

I agree but a fantastic Banana all the same and certainly worth growing if you can get hold of one, ill be looking at getting another hopefully from New forest Hostas.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

When mine first turned up I thought they were small too Ade,so put it straight on the heatmat to hopefully speed it up.Seems to have worked as its an okay size now,not anywhere big enough to leave the greenhouse though mind,but doing okay.
I lost the original thai one I had this winter.It never really got going tbh,but then the thai imports never really do.Must be the chemicals they dip them in for the phyto,or the diffrence in climate perhaps :lol:

Is darren still selling bananas Ade?
Haven't seen any of his on ebay this year
grub

Post by grub »

Jim Dawes has Siam Ruby, I saw them on wednesday and they all looked great icon_thumright (and red :lol: ). Don't know how much though or if he lists them but you could always send him a message http://www.worldgardenplants.com/
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

He's got them listed grub.
Wheres he based?
And have you seen the black stemmed alocasia mac :mrgreen:
If I hadn't just had to shell out for a new engine on the car,I'd be very tempted to get one.
As it stands though no plants for me for the foreseable future :(
Well until I hit ebay with the manihots and collies :wink:
mushtaq86

Post by mushtaq86 »

Its one banana i will never buy again,it makes dwarf cav look like basjoo :lol: :lol: :lol: the problem i find with it is it hates cool summers,grows very slowly.doesn't like dry compost which makes overwintering in a greenhouse,a nightmare unless you keep it growing with temps over 14c.Mine bit the dust in Feb even though it was a large plant.Red spider mite is a big problem with this nana,no other nana i have has gets infected so badly as siam ruby.A nana for hot climates I'm afraid.
grub

Post by grub »

Steve the black stemmed Mac is a stunner as is the Colocasia Mohito :DD
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Aye,I've got a mojito,and very nice it is too :D
Did you see the macs?are they a decent size or plugs?

As to the ruby though Mush,never had a problem with Red Spider Mite on them before.Probably because they all prefer the brugs :roll:
The only real problem I have with them is they don't overwinter well/at all.
The first year mine came through fine in the bathroom,even carried on growing and pupped quite well.It was just the following 2 winters that did them in out in the greenhouse and in the diningroom.They were just too big to put back on the windowsil :lol:
If I lose this one next winter its no big deal,I'll just pick me up another next spring.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

mushtaq86 wrote:Its one banana i will never buy again,it makes dwarf cav look like basjoo :lol: :lol: :lol: the problem i find with it is it hates cool summers,grows very slowly.doesn't like dry compost which makes overwintering in a greenhouse,a nightmare unless you keep it growing with temps over 14c.Mine bit the dust in Feb even though it was a large plant.Red spider mite is a big problem with this nana,no other nana i have has gets infected so badly as siam ruby.A nana for hot climates I'm afraid.
Mine from 2008 did better than most others' , but I have to agree with you. The first winter it needed water or wilted badly, but as soon as it turned colder it needed to dry out... like NOW. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by grub »

Well grown plugs Steve, in 6" pots and going away nicely :wink:. I may well pick one or two up in a couple of weeks, the only reason I didn't the other day was because I know I'll kill 'em :lol:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I'm with you there grub :lol:
I managed to kill(or not get startedyet)pretty much every alocasia I've got barring the little variegated mac,tiny wentii and a little calidora.Nothing big enough to leave the confines of a propagator let alone outside :roll: