Dead Washie

metalhammer

Dead Washie

Post by metalhammer »

Hoicked out a dead Washingtonia robusta today out it's 90litre pot.Top of the plant was turned to smelly mush,but the root system which was frozen solid for several weeks was perfect,no frost damage at all,clean white roots,just a pity the top was mushed.

I am of the opinion that those who say you mustn't let palm roots feel frost are completely wrong.Every dead palm I've dug out over the last 2 winters has been the same,top trashed,but roots were fine.Worst I've seen is some Trachies last winter that were in 2litre pots,they had maybe 5% of the roots showing a small amount of browning.

metalhammer.
greg

Re: Dead Washie

Post by greg »

MH, seems you may be the man to ask, had a washie for 2 years in the ground, last year it was poor and only produced about 2 new leaves, this year i have waited and waited and nothing, although last years leaves are brown they are soft to the touch, not dry as if they were dead, the barrell trunk is about 3 foot high, is it time to ditch or is what i have explained encouraging?
michael0512

Post by michael0512 »

Thats a shame M.H. How old was the W.R.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I would give it to the end of the summer,if no growth has appeared by then,it's a safe bet it's dead.Mine had the whole centre section pull out,stunk to high heaven,left a hole about 2" in diameter right down inside,actually stuck a cane in there to find out how deep it had pulled,it went down to soil level.I decided it had no chance of survival,so binned it.Last year it was defoliated,lost all it's leaves,but never pulled,so made a startling recovery & put out 7 new leaves.If yours hasn't pulled,it has a chance.

metalhammer.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Michael,had only had it for 3 years,bought it from easytropicals in Cheshire,cost about £35 from memory.Had a trunk that was about 7-8" in diameter at ground level.

Don't see me trying with Washie's again,to tender.I find robusta more tolerant of our wet weather,but filifera is in my opinion hardier to frost,providing you can keep it dry.

metalhammer.
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Both my washie's were trashed, 4ft plants.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My has now finally grown out out the damaged spears now. The snow shelter stopped the worst of the snow getting into the crown, but the leaflets on the spears had been damaged and this became visible once the leaves have grown.

Pic taken with flash which highlights the toasted bits even this far into the season. All damage had completely grown out and had been cut off by July.
Attachments
20100610 Washingtonia.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by michael0512 »

I kept my one in greenhouse all last winter and will do the same this year..after that tho its going to be expelled from its comfort zone as it will be to big..They seem to have some nice stuff in easy tropicals and delivery not so bad to this steaming hot country of mine :roll: 1Lt pots- 70Lt is about £45..I need a decent size Butia or similar as most of my plants are small :roll:
michael0512

Post by michael0512 »

Its on the mend so Dave icon_thumleft...When older will it get more cold tolerant???
derrick

Post by derrick »

My washy very slow with this new leaf and its a little brown .All the leaves got and batterd by the wind.So i got nothing to hang me xmas lights on.
glovemeister

Post by glovemeister »

Hi guys this is my first post so please bear with me. I bought a couple of Washy Hybrids last year and tried my best to protect them overwinter, however they arnt doing so well! They are about 3 foot trunk height but like MetalHammers last year have lost all leaves, however there are no signs of spearpull. My question is how often /much should i water a palm with no leaves!?? I will try to attach a pic.
Attachments
Unhealthy looking Washy
Unhealthy looking Washy
Temp greenhouse to hopefully encourage growth.
Temp greenhouse to hopefully encourage growth.
Musa Sikkemensis thought lost showing signs of life!
Musa Sikkemensis thought lost showing signs of life!
Tree fern finally catching up..better late than never
Tree fern finally catching up..better late than never
simon

Post by simon »

Some people seem to have the same situation as me. My Washingtonia hybrid has all the leaves browned and still no growth but the spear is solid and no signs of rot above ground. My only idea is that the roots must be damaged otherwise it surely would be growing by now. Mine is potted by the way.
glovemeister

Post by glovemeister »

Simon, i tend to agree however i have heard these plants can go into a sulk after damage and without a single green leaf it must be difficult to get going again. I have recently added bonemeal and 'tried' to add some 'Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi' (difficult to add after planting) in order to promote healthier roots....fingers crossed. I have also ordered some 'palmbooster' fertillizer to try, nothing ventured nothing gained.
glovemeister

Post by glovemeister »

metalhammer wrote:I would give it to the end of the summer,if no growth has appeared by then,it's a safe bet it's dead.Mine had the whole centre section pull out,stunk to high heaven,left a hole about 2" in diameter right down inside,actually stuck a cane in there to find out how deep it had pulled,it went down to soil level.I decided it had no chance of survival,so binned it.Last year it was defoliated,lost all it's leaves,but never pulled,so made a startling recovery & put out 7 new leaves.If yours hasn't pulled,it has a chance.

metalhammer.
Can you remember what time of year your washie started to recover? Did you continue to water as normal, I am frightened of watering to much as there are no leaves at all on mine so i dont want the roots to rot.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Mine was container grown,so watering carries on pretty much all year round.It was into growth by now,that's all I can remember.

metalhammer.